HD25-1: why does it take so long to get them?
Sep 15, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aos

May one day solve the Mystery of the Whoosh
So I decided back in early August to buy HD25-1 as I'll be travelling and need a good closed phone, and afterwards it'd be good for the office. I ordered from eutronics, thinking that 5 or so weeks should be more than enough to get them. But I'm due to travel on Friday and I haven't even received notification that the Borderfree (that's how they ship to Canada) have them yet!! I believe I heard something about eutronics not having these actually in stock, but I don't recall that being mentioned anywhere on the website when I was ordering. Now fair enough my CC hasn't been charged but damn I need the headphones - HD580 is not going
to shield my ears from airplane engine noise.

So I now either have an option of:

- buying something in Toronto, where I stop for a few days - is there a shop somewhere downtown selling Senns or Beyers?
- buying something in Switzerland or Italy, or maybe heading over to Germany and getting it there - that should be cheaper than here, I'd think (not in Switzerland though, I doubt anything's cheap there, luckily I'm staying with relatives or else I wouldn't be there at all)
- or the most likely choice, not buying anything to save money and just get the phones whenever they arrive, after the trip - I still want to use them at work. And be pissed off, since really, I mean c'mon, 5 weeks should be enough for any kind of mass-produced retail product to arrive to customer.

Maybe someone has suggestions on what to look for and where in Toronto or in Europe...

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 6
It's kind of doubtful whether they would arrive at all.
My situation was etronics was similar. What they did was, like any crappy online retailer (etronics doesn't have that good a rating, for a good reason), they oversold - they sold more than what they had in stock. As a result, my order for the HD25 was backordered despite the website showing it as in stock at time of purchase, and they didn't even bother to send me any notification of the order status. What more, it's not even clear whether they have bothered to restock, since when I called them they said that there is no ETA as to when the phones will be back in stock. This could possibly be because the Sennheiser factory burning down and all, but it could possibly be that etronics is just waiting on their ass (not restocking) until most of the orders have been cancelled, after realizing that their price is too low to make a profit. In either case, it's clear that they won't have it in stock for a while. For how long, I don't know, but I wasn't willing to wait on an order that doesn't have an ETD, so I cancelled my order.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 6
aos, here in Germany the HD25-1 retails for around 200 Euro in stores (that's like 240$!) and as you said buying them in Switzerland isn't a great idea either (a country where a basic McDonald's menu cost 8 Euros, that is almost 10$
biggrin.gif
)
If you can cancel your order from Etronics, maybe getting them in Canada isn't such a bad idea although I don't know the prices over there.

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah 200 Euro would be way too much for those phones. I did talk to eutronics through email last week and they said it should ship to Borderfree "soon". As long as they arrive in next month or two I'm fine, given that the price was really good. And they haven't charged my CC (if they did, that would be a whole different game). However, in retail stores here the prices are quite high too.

Perhaps there's something "cheap" to find in Toronto. I should search through some old threads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back