HD25-1 II vs HFI780
Apr 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Libertad

1000+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new sealed can and I'm down to these 2 cans. I need to know which one is the better buy. I intend to use these with a portable amp on the go (big cans FTW) in noisy environments and I'd like my ears to be pleased. There both are good and I know which ever one I pull the trigger on will be a great deal better than my current cans but the input still helps. Please help me decide this is just to close of a call for me to make on my own
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the market for a new sealed can and I'm down to these 2 cans. I need to know which one is the better buy. I intend to use these with a portable amp on the go (big cans FTW) in noisy environments and I'd like my ears to be pleased. There both are good and I know which ever one I pull the trigger on will be a great deal better than my current cans but the input still helps. Please help me decide this is just to close of a call for me to make on my own
eek.gif

Well first off, one is supraural and one is circumaural.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 20
which one isolates more

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which one isolates more

[size=medium]
I don't know about the HFI-780's.

I believe the stock HD-25-1 with the pleather pads isolates better than just about anything except IEM's. The downside is that the pleather pads are too uncomfortable for some people to wear for more than a few hours. The optional velour pads are more comfortable, but reduces isolation and bass quantity somewhat.

I have the HD-25-1 with velour pads. I plan to search for more comfortable pleather/leather pads, if possible, for my HD's to maximize isolation and bass quantity. The pads for the AKG K81DJ's (which I also own) fit the HD-25-1 and are supposedly more comfortable.

The HD-25-1 are supraural (meaning they rest on the ear) while the 780's are circumaural (meaning they surround the ear). Circumaural designs tend to be more comfortable for the wearer.
cool.gif
[/size]

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 20
Yes, HD25-1 isolates really good and i find that using them for more than 2 hours hurts my ear for some minutes, but after that i use them again. I believe that they are robust and more portable than HFI780, but i supposed that HFI780 sounds better. Me think HD25-1 sounds really nice too for aggresive music (i.e. rock, trance, electronic, metal). CMIIW but HFI780 is also good if not, better for that kind of music.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, HD25-1 isolates really good and i find that using them for more than 2 hours hurts my ear for some minutes

I can second that. Not as comfortable as Id wish but the sound is realy nice and there isnt a headphone for outdoor use looking as good as this one IMO.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well first off, one is supraural and one is circumaural.
smily_headphones1.gif

really? is the Senn circumaural? judging from the pics of both, both seem supra-aural to me..

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 20
[size=medium]The Senn HD-25-1 I/II comes stock with a steel cable. The cable is very robust for portable usage but takes away from the audio quality. (Even though I have never heard the 780's, I am extremely confidant that the stock 780 and most mid-tiered phones sound better than a stock HD25-1.
biggrin.gif
) Some users enhance the audio quality by replacing it with a better quality cable. This can be as cheap as $12-$18 or so for a Senn HD600/HD650 cable. (The user would have to rotate the HD-25-1 drivers to allow the 600/650 cables to connect. Or you can pay someone to do the modification for you like I did.) Or it can be an expensive audiophile quality cable.

I use Headphile's Black Silver cable. Compared to the stock cable which tends to present a recessed midrange, muted treble and a somewhat woolly bass, the Black Silver clarifies the midrange and brings them into balance with the rest of the frequency range. The treble is sweetened, and the bass tightens up considerably. The 120 dB sound pressure level (spl) of the HD-25-1, the highest I have ever seen on any phone thus far, ensures that it will be loud even with portable sources. However, a good portable amp clearly enhances the audio quality even more. If sound quality under portable/transportable conditions is important to you, you might want to take the cost of a better quality cable and/or an amp into consideration.

I bought my HD-25-1 from a Head-fi member, Blessing, because I wanted a rugged phone that can stand up to the crazy abuse that equipment could be exposed to in portable/transportable conditions, even when one is careful. The heavy duty plastic employed with the HD25-1 is such that one feels it is indestructible. If ruggedness is as important to you as it is to me, you would have to communicate with others to get a feel for how the 780's compare in that regard.
cool.gif
[/size]

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 20
I have owned both, still own the Hfi-780. From my experience the HD25-1 II has much isolation than the Hfi-780, but the Hfi-780's SQ is a level above that of HD25-1. After I got mine recabled by S2 audio, it even sounded better. If you don't mind walking around with a huge headphone on I think the Hfi-780 is a better choice, but if you want a kinda smallesh low profile type headphone, I recommend the HD25-1.

Here are my non-scientific opinions as judge by my ear.

Isolation based on ER4S.
Er4S 100%
HD25-1 II 60%
Hfi-780 30%

Visibility:

HD25-1 II is black and small
Hfi-780 large and shiny silver in color.

SQ:

HD25-1 II has 80% of Hfi-780's sound quality.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 20
big cans dont bother me really so the 780 is looking good to me but for the price i can grab a hd25 and recable it. Would a recabled hd25 sound as good as a 780?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back