HD238 Powered by a Sansa Clip
Jan 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jtack

Head-Fier
I just got these, and I dont think they sound all that good at all. First of all I have to turn the volume to max and the bass is sounds distorted some of the time. I am new to full sized headphones and was not expecting so much leakage of sound. Can someone recommend a more efficient headphone that is about the same size that can be powered well with a sansa clip, does not leak sound and has exceptional sound quality. I love bass but dont want to sacrifice any other sound qualities for it. I would like to stay around the $100 range. Is that possible?

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 4
I had the same problem with mine. I couldn't really push them very easily with my Sony X and that has a great amp in it. They seem to be dark overall to me. I have since given them to my 12 year old. He loves them.

I don't know of much of this same size for under a 100 that would do the trick for you. But I could recommend a great portable headphone. It's a tad smaller but in my opinion far superior to the 238. that's the PortaPro. They are extemely efficient. Very forward presentation and tremendous instrument separation...especially in this price range. If you live near a Best Buy I saw they were on sale for 39 dollars this week.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 4
I actually love my HD238, but when I got my ES7 I felt that they did trump it in most aspects. They're closed back and won't leak much sound as long as you listen at reasonable volumes. Compared to 238 you will notice more forward mids with crisp highs and hard hitting yet not overly boomy bass, with little bit of cost in the soundstage department. The Fuze is more than efficient enough for it and they should distort less than 238's which are known to distort at higher volumes (but I'm actually surprised you listened to the 238's with volume to max... those can't be safe listening volumes!
redface.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back