HD228 or HD238? for Ipod Nano 5th & MJ
Dec 14, 2009 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

netmask254

Head-Fier
I was assigned to pick up a headphone for my girlfriend's iPod Nano, the goal is pretty simple: observable better than the original Apple earphone. Her 16GB nano is full of Michael Jackson's songs in recent months (and next few months, I guess), major used at home or on the way walking to office.

Currently I narrowed down the selections to these Sennheiser headphones. Yesterday we listened to some headphones in Sennheiser's shop, she likes HD555 a lot but its line is too long. She doesn't like the highly recommended PX200 at all, and thinks HD228 sounds better than PX100 for its bass (we are both newbies to headphones
tongue_smile.gif
), but we forgot to try HD238. I read some topics related with HD228/238 but still can't make a decision based on them. Looks like HD228 has a better style (the white version only), but its frequency response (http://www.headphone.com/headphones/...ser-hd-228.php) is not as precise as HD238 (Sennheiser HD 238 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio).

HD228:
+ The white version looks more stylish
+ Sound isolation (-8dB only, not quite good)

HD238:
+ Better sound perhaps?

So the question is: Which one is better for my case (in your opinion)? for a iPod Nano (without amp) and optimized for MJ's songs? Thanks a lot in advance!

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
General consensus is that the HD238 has better sq but zero isolation.

True. I have both, and the HD 238 is better on almost all counts, if not all counts, and is classier physically. It it open though, and the HD 228 is closed, if that matters to you.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Looks like most guys prefer HD238, me too.

I have one additional concern that HD238's impedance is larger than HD228 (32-Ohm vs. 24-Ohm), and some guy in other forum mentioned that it doesn't perform very well (resulting a loose bass) without an amplifier, is this true?

BTW, both of them are listed as accessaries in Apple's retail store and should work well for iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back