HD player using standard filesystem
Jun 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

countach

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm looking for an high capacity HD player with line out output capacity.

Obviously iPod 80Gb seems to be the the more refined one, but there is a thing in the iPod that I can't stand: They can't play files copied in the disk using them as an standard hard drive when connected to a PC.

In fact, the thing I want is as simple as my Sony Erisson's K800i way to do it: When pluggin it via USB, a hard disc is mounted on the system, and simply copying the directories wherever you want, you can listen them in the internal player. ID3 tags are showed too. And the K800 also parse m3u playlist files.

Will be a plus that the device should be capable of showing image files in the same folder or parse cuesheet files, like foobar, for example.

¿Do anything like this exists?

Maybe the Cowon players. Sadly that ones seems to be discontinued, and the X7 is not clear when or how as far as I know.

Sometime ago I've tried the iRiver but I didn't like it at all.

Any alternative?

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 7
the ipod might be troublesome becase of the propietary cable, an Cowon A2 is nice, if the 30gb limit and the chunky size aint a problem for you,

you can still find 30gb X5L´s around, the problem is that around 60-80, theres little manufactures that provide those devices,

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Find yourself a iRiver iHP/H140 or a H340 - upgrade to 100gig and voila - there's your answer.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 7
So there is no software client written that allows you to use a 5th gen ipod without itunes? I thought people had solved this issue already.

On the flip side of the coin I really have nothing against rockbox, except concerns about battery life and some frustrations with the ease of use of the interface. How is the 5g ipod battery life with rockbox compared to original firmware?

Can I dual-boot an ipod? i.e. Use rockbox when loading files connected to the pc, and then boot original firmware when I want to listen to tunes?

FWIW I am using an X5 (30g) and love the freedom of not needing any pc software. I did have to replace my battery (using an Intec DS Lite replacement battery at the moment). Last I was camping and got to check out another guys 80GB ipod and is sure was slick, but I am not going to use iTunes.

-Dan

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I dual-boot an ipod? i.e. Use rockbox when loading files connected to the pc, and then boot original firmware when I want to listen to tunes?

-Dan

Yes you can ...

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Archos AV604 will pull this off very nicely. In fact, I believe that the majority of Archos DAPs will operate the way you outlined in the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back