HD experts, my HD-495 stopped functioning!
Oct 21, 2001 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

genekim

New Head-Fier
Hi.
I have purchased a Hd495 about a month ago,
and yesterday my right side stopped functioning completely

I do not see why or how it could have been damaged internally,
as it is encolsed in a hardplastic case.

My primary suspect is the Headphone line damage,
but being a aquestic newbie i am, i am not sure how i should solve this problem.
In addition, i dont see any obvious external dammages on the HDline or the headphone itself.

Would you help me solving this problem? Or are there anyone else with same problem?

thank you.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 8
start checking the obvious stuff. make sure the cable is plugged in to the headphone all the way. wiggle the cable around and see if sound comes back for a bit. you can open up the earcup to see if any wires inside are broken or unconnected.

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 8
Hey thanx for your replu.
I carefully looked at my HD line,
and i found a torn spot on my HD line.
It wasn't visible because it was way back where i couldn't see. Only when I extended my headphones could i find it.
The problem is, i could see the lines inside the black cords.
I see a group of copper threads, and a group of white threads. Both are torn at places, but not completely. like i see 5-6 strands of copper and white threads...
Now.. what can i do?
Should i cut them and rebind them?

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd contact Senn and let them put a new piece of their highquality OFC in your cans instead of fiddling around it yourself and get a lot of static in the signal. besides, the wires are probably coated and reall hard to connect properly.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 8
You got it a month ago - so warranty should cover the cable replacement.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 8
well, my 495s have been treated carefully, and are fine - not even a single problem...so...

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 8
well, senn cables are a bit thin compared to some other cables. but they never get in the way as much and are lightweight as well. rather have it like this than for example with a DT990, which has a kilo of coiled up cord hanging on one ear... and they're pretty damn tough anyway, the cable of my hd200 (same system as hd495) has been in some horrible situations a Grado wouldn't have been able to survive but the hd200 never had a single problem with the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back