HD DVD - Is it worth it?
Jan 26, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On what do you base this statement?

I have both and I have yet to see a movie on one format look better than the other. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't seen any that made me say "Wow I'm glad i have THIS format!".

GAD

i have seen a couple... but guess what... they were hd dvds of course i won't say it was because of the format... in those cases the hd dvd got a better transfer and they were all imports (which would explain why the different transfer)

that's another thing to consider... because of lack of region coding hd dvd has a wider selection of imports... bluray has a few all region imports though

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks damn great, at least with the right movies, but it's just not worth it to me at this point, as a non-moviephile.

That's just it....how many people, movie buffs included, are going to invest a lot of money in a HD format when there's not many titles? People who like watching ecclectic movies certainly are going to have to wait awhile before their favs make it to HD. I'm a movie buff and know that I won't ever get rid of my DVD collection, as there will be many movies that will take a long time to make it to HD, if ever. I got an HD DVD player a few months ago because I saw a few movies that I wanted to own in HD, and it was cheaper and more standardized then Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray didn't have the type exclusive titles that made me want to spend more. Now that it looks like Blu-Ray is going to be the dominant format, does that make me regret going HD DVD? Nope, not at all.....I got a nice HD player that works on the 400+ movie titles for it.....and I'll probably get a profile 2.0 Blu Ray player when there's more Blu-Ray titles out. That's true for any early adopter for any format: when DVD first came out, I saved up all my money to buy an expensive $300 DVD drive (I was a poor college student at the time). My dad spent over $800 on his first DVD player. Think we still have them? Obviously not: they got replaced with cheaper and better DVD players.

So my advice to anyone considering HD is to look and see if there are that many titles that you want to own, and if the price seems right to you. If not, then it might be best to wait for there to be better selection and prices. The one thing I can say about HD is that the good studios do a lot to restore and remaster the old classic movies: this is going to be an important feature to attract movie fans.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #33 of 43
So while video quality is going UP, audio quality is going DOWN.
confused.gif

I would wait too. Personally I won't be supporting the movies themselves because of the intrusive copy protection built into them and into the hardware/software. Blu-ray is a better format IMO because it holds more data, so there is a wider horizon. It's just marketing however. You can bet the CEOs are chillin in their offices laughing at how we're lapping their HD bs up. JMO
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was a good choice, it sure isn't anymore! Didn't you hear, Time Warner just went all BluRay? And I have no objections. BluRay is higher quality than HD DVD.

Also, the discs read and spin up in the players a lot faster than HD DVDs do. This is a minor point, but one that is good to know and hardly ever mentioned.

That is a bunch of marketing BS. The quality on both are the same. The only reason why Bluray is winning is because Sony has more money to throw around than Toshiba, PERIOD.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

I would wait too. Personally I won't be supporting the movies themselves because of the intrusive copy protection built into them and into the hardware/software. Blu-ray is a better format IMO because it holds more data, so there is a wider horizon. It's just marketing however. You can bet the CEOs are chillin in their offices laughing at how we're lapping their HD bs up. JMO
biggrin.gif

That's OLD information. Toshiba's triple-layered 51GB HDDVD will be on par with Sony's 50GB Bluray disc.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's OLD information. Toshiba's triple-layered 51GB HDDVD will be on par with Sony's 50GB Bluray disc.

Oh nice, I didn't know they found ways to increase the space on the discs! Thanks for your input. Would Sony be able to do the same thing and make around 100GB discs? Just wondering, if you know.

Tyler

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Oh nice, I didn't know they found ways to increase the space on the discs! Thanks for your input. Would Sony be able to do the same thing and make around 100GB discs? Just wondering, if you know.

Tyler

Not that i know of at least.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

confused.gif

No, audio quality is going quite a ways up. Especially with lossless (with PCM, they've been known to resample the quality down), you have a potential for real 24bit audio at 7.1 channels. Isn't that better then the mega compressed 16bit audio DVD had?

Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have a theoretical limit of 10 layers (with HD DVD being 150GB and Blu-Ray being over 200). I doubt they'll ever get that high though. Studios are going to go for the most cost effective size: which would also provide better durability. One's not really "superior" over the other as they both have their own advantages. And both of them have a bandwidth appropriate for HD resolutions. If video formats go to 4k or 12+bit color, then we'll just need yet another format!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have a theoretical limit of 10 layers (with HD DVD being 150GB and Blu-Ray being over 200).

well at 10 layers that would be 150-170GB for hd-dvd and 250 for bluray

hd-dvd single and dual-layer are 15GB per layer the TL51 spec uses 17GB layers
bluray is 25GB per layer

i would love to see TL51 and TLT (triple layer twin... think combo disc but instead of a flipper it has a DVD layer along with the 2 HD DVD layers on one side) discs start to roll out maybe it will get michael bay to **** (though i feel he must get paid by sony every time he says bluray is better) and might lure spielberg out from under his rock and we'll get his movies released

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #40 of 43
I think the upgrade to HD is very worth it, regardless of the format you choose. I am getting a dual format player. I chose to go upper end though, $800 for Samsung's BD-UP5000. I get the best of both worlds and take advantage of what my TV is capable of (Samsung's 5271f).

I suspect the average person will wait another year or so before jumping on the HD wagon, but as lower prices do, they will suck more people in every day...and that is not a bad thing.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would love to see TL51 and TLT (triple layer twin... think combo disc but instead of a flipper it has a DVD layer along with the 2 HD DVD layers on one side) discs start to roll out maybe it will get michael bay to **** (though i feel he must get paid by sony every time he says bluray is better) and might lure spielberg out from under his rock and we'll get his movies released

I can't see how that would get Spielberg to go on some rampage for HD content. History has shown that neither him, George Lucas, or even Peter Jackson will do anything until a format is well established. Look how long it took Star Wars or ET to make it to DVD. Peter Jackson has said that he thinks neither format will win: that downloads will be the ultimate HD preference.

I also think Sony is better then to actually pay Bay to blog about HD
biggrin.gif
Why pay some 2 bit director to spew obvious opinion, when his career shows that he neither has neither artistic integrity or a loyalty to any studio. He just gets a pay check to say "Lets put a boomy here".

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me preface this by saying I love high quality things, especially crisp, rich video and audio.

Is it worth it? What say you
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say yes after reading your first statement. Take the plunge, the water is fine.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #43 of 43
I just purchased a PS3, as I want HD movies and it appears the PS3 will work longer than any other BluRay player for the time being, plus BluRay is "winning" it seems for the time being. HOWEVER, if HD-DVD ends up edging out BluRay, then oh well, I can watch the movies I already have, plus I have a PS3 to play video games on. So it really is kind of hard to "lose" on the PS3 (the same could probably be said about the 360 with the add on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back