HD-800
Mar 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #47 of 65
I have some early run HD800s, SN 01xxx.  I have never found these to have a large treble peak, nor does the frequency graph from Senn indicate a large treble peak. (On the other hand, my Beyerdynamic T1s have a very noticeable treble spike around 8.5KHz.)  I just assumed the reports of bright HD800s from other Head-Fiers were due to source issue, production variations, comparison against the much darker HD650, or because to owners had a later model.  Since then I compared my HD800 to a newer mode at a meet, a/b out of my Beta 22, and none of us could tell the difference between the two.  I'm just saying...

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #48 of 65

Quote:
I have some early run HD800s, SN 01xxx.  I have never found these to have a large treble peak, nor does the frequency graph from Senn indicate a large treble peak. (On the other hand, my Beyerdynamic T1s have a very noticeable treble spike around 8.5KHz.)  I just assumed the reports of bright HD800s from other Head-Fiers were due to source issue, production variations, comparison against the much darker HD650, or because to owners had a later model.  Since then I compared my HD800 to a newer mode at a meet, a/b out of my Beta 22, and none of us could tell the difference between the two.  I'm just saying...

Matches my experiences. My HD800s are serial number 41XX and they sound near identical to older ones AND ones with serial numbers greater than 10 000.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #49 of 65
I'm trying a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cable for my HD800 and I LOVE IT!! It makes the sometimes searing, fatiguing highs non-fatiguing but leaves them soaring and extended and exciting and natural, and doesn't
blunt any the Sennheisers' resolution or wonderful soundstaging. For me, the Black Dragon V2 is absolutely necessary for the 800s, making them what I feel is the best sounding headphones in the market
(I also have LCD3s, T1s, D7000s, and used to have PS1000s and bass light R10s. Yes, the 800s with the Black Dragon beats the R10s for me.)

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #50 of 65
I'm trying a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cable for my HD800 and I LOVE IT!! It makes the sometimes searing, fatiguing highs non-fatiguing but leaves them soaring and extended and exciting and natural, and doesn't
blunt any the Sennheisers' resolution or wonderful soundstaging. For me, the Black Dragon V2 is absolutely necessary for the 800s, making them what I feel is the best sounding headphones in the market
(I also have LCD3s, T1s, D7000s, and used to have PS1000s and bass light R10s. Yes, the 800s with the Black Dragon beats the R10s for me.)

Just ordered the blue dragon v3 for my hd800. Not sure how it compares on my system, but i read somewhere that tthe black dragon has better bass and more body but a touch less resolution.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #51 of 65
Many guys have said the stock cable is a poor match for the HD800's and I agree, after spending an hour or so listening with the stock cable I switched to an ALO Copper 18 cable and instantly noticed more substance to the sound particularly in the lower end.
I'm sure Sennheiser had a reason for developing the particular cable sold with the HD800, but I'm glad they made it detachable
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #52 of 65
I need some advice from you guys about my sennheiser HD800 being sounded too bright. I'm using it with La figaro 339(tung sol 3998) and HRT music streamer II. Is it anyway to clam them down? Thank you

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #53 of 65
search for 'Anaxilus mod'

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:
I need some advice from you guys about my sennheiser HD800 being sounded too bright. I'm using it with La figaro 339(tung sol 3998) and HRT music streamer II. Is it anyway to clam them down? Thank you

I am using T1 with La Figaro 332C my source is my computer using Hiface Two usb. Simple way to adjust for the treble peak: http://www.aixcoustic.com/index.php/Electri-Q-posihfopit/30/0/ . Electri-Q equalizer it's free (the free version is just fine for this). If you leave it set on "Digital" it has no noticable negative effect on the sound and can easily cut the problem resonance areas in your treble peak. I am not sure if it is the headphone that is responsible for the peak or just the equipment chain as the headphones are very revealing, but either way this solved the problem for me. You can easily experiment with different settings and store them in saved profiles then eventually choose the one you like best and leave it to load automatically. I use this with Foobar and it works great.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #56 of 65
I just picked up a second pair of HD 800s as I sold the first pair on Ebay a couple of months ago.  I did notice that the cable is a lot thinner. The sound seems to be the same.  I run them with my Headroom Balanced Max Headphone amp with Alps and Attenuator.  I do like them very much and they are great when you take them on a trip as I am planning to do.  I used to take my Stax Lambda Pros with an SRDX portable battery pack; but it is too much to carry.  The HD 800s sound great on my I Pad and I Pods without any addtional portable amplification; Just perfect for this years trips to California and Japan.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #59 of 65
You need to send me some money... 
triportsad.gif

tRowL.... TrOwl..... trOwl..... 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back