HD 800 or HD 800s
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ultrasonefan

Head-Fier
Hello, im the Proud owner of a HD 800 now, and I absolutely love it, my T1s do not even come close to it.
The resolution and Soundstage is on a totally different level. I love the Extremely clear highs and the effortless Bass, i even had to shed tears after first listening to them! Sennheiser now sent me an Offer for the HD800S for 1,1k. And I am extremely tempted to purchase them and sell my HD 800.

Sidenote: I love the treble centric sound of the HD 800 on some songs and the amazing micro detail, they make some instruments sound truly magical! I haven't heard them for long, but myfirst impressions were pretty amazing, the Treble gets hot on some certain songs i listen to, especially some well mastered edm ( edm sounds better than ever before!).

Would it be a good Idea to purchase the HD 800S ?
I tested both side to side Briefly in a Super Noisy environment, and prefered the older brother. But People told me that it takes time to appreciate the HD 800S.

I mostly listen to: Experimental Edm, edm, Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, and classical music.

Amp: Beyerdynamic a 20 ( future upgrade would be a tube amp) but the sound signature and Detail retrieval is perfect with this combination.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 10
Someone who has both should pop in here and give a list of differences and then a list of pros and cons. The OP can worry about an amp later in my opinion. I have found it's best to nail down the headphone first, amp second and then accessories third.

After all my searching for headphones, and I've been looking for a high-end phone to slot in above my GS1000i/Beyer t5, I have recently come back around to the same question as the OP: if I should I decide on a Sennheiser HD800 for this purchase, should I just go ahead and opt for the new S version? I'm also interested in why I should consider it opposed to Oppo PM1, Audeze LCD-3F, Hifiman XE1000, Ultrasone Ed. 8, etc.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 10
  2nd Sidenote: The Soundstage is very important to me, if the S model sacrifices a lot of it then i might pass.

Thankyou for the replies so far!

They are virtually identical in sound stage, but what the S does is "fix" that 6kHz spike that can be nasty with the wrong recording/amplification and adds a bit heft down low (and much needed). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back