HD 800 AMP? Maybe DAC?
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm predicting Gilmore Lite is going to be very good with HD800. And I'm not kidding either. Will report back in a few days...

Please do. I believe Jude mentioned somewhere in the first thread that the Lite handled the HD800 nicely. I'm hoping that my GS1 will suffice but some of the posters in the impressions thread are suggesting that only the top of the line amps will suffice.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 27
B22 is amazing...with HD800 you'll get a truly high-end sound.

More down to earth, hmm, you want something with pretty high resolution...doesn't have to be tube, M3 would be a great choice...

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at canjam and listened to alot of amps. The hd800 really needs a tube amp so I would go with the woo 2 or ray's b52. I heard both and liked them.
the b52 by ray really stood out. great match.

I didn't really like the solid states with the hd800. I have a corda symphony and am listening to the hd800 now. while it's really good as a amp and dac, I'm personally considering buying a tube amp for it.

sling5s, I would avoid the assumption that just because it’s tube might be a better choice. It will leave the door open to a much wider choice, solid state design offers an alternative view - well done it’s every bit as involving.
I’m sure not all tube amps will marry well with the HD800 either, from the impressions I’ve read it seems that the configuration of the amp makes more of a difference than the topology.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, HD800 sounded great balanced with my Buffalo and Beta22.
wink.gif

Sweet! Would love to pair up a HD800 with my β22 one day...
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #22 of 27
Yeah, I really couldn't resist. The HD800s were just magical, I honestly preferred them over many other headphones like the Qualias etc. It was definitely special to me. Can any of you guys give me a ranking about what amps you thought worked with the HD800s and which amps you liked more?

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 27
Happy to report that Gilmore Lite pairs very well with HD800. Not long enough listen to give a detailed report, but I don't sense any obvious deficiencies with this pairing so far. Incredibly detailed and transparent. Not bad for a sub $400 amp.

Edit: I had a chance to listen to HD800 with all the big guns, so I have a decent idea of how HD800 sounds well driven...

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet! Would love to pair up a HD800 with my β22 one day...
smile.gif

I hope so too! That amp deserve to have the HD800 as a companion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy to report that Gilmore Lite pairs very well with HD800. Not long enough listen to give a detailed report, but I don't sense any obvious deficiencies with this pairing so far. Incredibly detailed and transparent. Not bad for a sub $400 amp.

Edit: I had a chance to listen to HD800 with all the big guns, so I have a decent idea of how HD800 sounds well driven...

Great news! Please post further impressions as you listen more. Also, what other amps have you heard the HD800 with?

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm using a M³+S11 (AD843 opamps) and Gamma1 DAC to drive my HD800.
So far I'm completely blown away, it sounds so much better than my HD650.
Unfortunately I can't compare it to the great amps like B22 but I'm having a hard time imagining how a B22 could noticeably improve the experience.
I'm a SS guy and tubes are simply a concept I'm no fan of.
I haven't figured out yet what might be the best SS amps for the HD800 the impressions thread just has too many different opinions.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by king.mark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a M³+S11 (AD843 opamps) and Gamma1 DAC to drive my HD800.
So far I'm completely blown away, it sounds so much better than my HD650.
Unfortunately I can't compare it to the great amps like B22 but I'm having a hard time imagining how a B22 could noticeably improve the experience.
I'm a SS guy and tubes are simply a concept I'm no fan of.
I haven't figured out yet what might be the best SS amps for the HD800 the impressions thread just has too many different opinions.

Congrats king.mark, great to hear you’re lovin’ that combo - should think it would sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back