HD 700 Usb DAC vs AV Receiver
Jul 7, 2016 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

varunkumar

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I have my PC connected to a 46in ch samsung TV. I have Asus Essence ST sound card. I want to upgrade my headphones to HD 700. But per my research Asus Essence ST/STX cannot use full potential of HD 700. I listen to Music, watch movies and do bit of gaming. 

Currently I am using HD 595 with ST sound card and sounds so cool. It is just that I want to upgrade to something better.

USB/DAC with built in amp:
This set up is fine for just Music. Problem starts with watching movies and gaming. I don't think position sound is possible with this set up. 

AV Receiver:
THis is good for movies, gaming and music IMO. But wonder if they can use the full potential of HD 700's. I don't want to waste money if they can't.

Overall I have no interest to buy a DAC. Please suggest which AV Receiver. I can spend upto 1000$. Thanks in advance.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 3

USB/DAC with built in amp:
This set up is fine for just Music. Problem starts with watching movies and gaming. I don't think position sound is possible with this set up. 

Use a DAC with an amp or a DAC+HPamp unit that has an SPDIF input, and use the SPDIF output from your soundcard. The DSP chip works through SPDIF, just not USB.

AV Receiver:
THis is good for movies, gaming and music IMO. But wonder if they can use the full potential of HD 700's. I don't want to waste money if they can't.

They won't have that much of a problem with the HD700, but the problem is they're huge. On the upside, if you'll use passive 5.0 speakers and a sub, then it will be put to good use.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 3
The Xonar ST should drive the HD700s quite well. I'd try them first before thinking that it won't.

If you want to upgrade, you can get a DAC/amp with optical input, connect it to the Xonar, and still get the Dolby virtual surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back