HD 6XX vs HD598 vs HD58X Jubilee
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 16
Necroposting ... : ) I just received my HD58X after buying the HD6XX via Drop a few weeks ago. First impression is the 6XX is much better, especially when using in amp. The former doesn't seem to benefit much, while the 6XX seems to scale with whatever is driving it. Although the 6XX strikes me as superior in every way (wider soundstage, "realer" sounding instruments, more convincing bass, better resolution), it is also darker and perhaps slower. Certainly harder to drive.The 58X seems like it would be better for metal or pop while plugged into a phone or mp3 player. I'd grab the 6XX to unwrap complex music like jazz while sitting in a chair near an amp. Both approaches are valid, IMO. Depends on one's need at the time.

I'm a huge Sennheiser fan and lusted after (but never bought) the 580, 600 and 650; so picking up both of Drop's offerings for less than the price of a new 650 made sense for me. I wouldn't want to choose between them, but if pressed, the 6XX wins for versatility and overall musicality. I think each can reveal different aspects of a track. I'm curious how the 5XX will be for gaming. I have the Game One, which is based on another 500-series headphone (maybe the 550), but I don't use the mic. I suspect this could be an even better gaming headphone.

Anyway, both are good headphones and bargains for what Drop is charging for them right now. I plan to have fun comparing these with my other Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back