HD-650s to buy or not to buy
May 16, 2006 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
I recently came across a good deal for a pair of Senn HD-650s and have been debating on whether or not to get them... I currently own a pair of grado sr-225, and have been loving them, but have been looking into other headphones to compliment/contrast them, all i listen to is Rap and Jazz music, and i like the grados for the forwardness on a good portion of the songs i listen to, but i found that the songs i listen to at home are more laid-back and flowy rather than "in-your-face" which i tend to listen more to on the go. So i was wondering if the 650s would be a good purchace for me (I only have listened to them once, and the person that had me listening to them played them directly out of an iPod... not to great of tactics for trying to sell them to me). I dont have an amp as of now, but i am working up to building a PINT amp, and another amp for home use for the 650s. Any imput is greatly apprecieated

May 16, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
I recently came across a good deal for a pair of Senn HD-650s and have been debating on whether or not to get them... I currently own a pair of grado sr-225, and have been loving them, but have been looking into other headphones to compliment/contrast them, all i listen to is Rap and Jazz music, and i like the grados for the forwardness on a good portion of the songs i listen to, but i found that the songs i listen to at home are more laid-back and flowy rather than "in-your-face" which i tend to listen more to on the go. So i was wondering if the 650s would be a good purchace for me (I only have listened to them once, and the person that had me listening to them played them directly out of an iPod... not to great of tactics for trying to sell them to me). I dont have an amp as of now, but i am working up to building a PINT amp, and another amp for home use for the 650s. Any imput is greatly apprecieated

If its a decent deal, why the heck not? If you cant stand them, you ll surely find a buyer in the FS forum here.
They are great phones for some, not so great for others. Gotta try em to know which camp you are in.

May 16, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpjmp
If its a decent deal, why the heck not? If you cant stand them, you ll surely find a buyer in the FS forum here.
They are great phones for some, not so great for others. Gotta try em to know which camp you are in.

Good point. I think I'll order them first thing in the morning
580smile.gif

May 16, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit

Sounds risky to me! You say you like the sound of the Grados? Why risk it?

A better plan maybe to buy a pair of 580's(same tonal sound as 650's).They can be had for about $150. shipped(online) and If you hate them, you can dump them for $130.

IMO.

May 16, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 16
I'm waiting for the new model that replaces the HD650 - don't know when but could be before September - in time for Xmas.

May 16, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I'm waiting for the new model that replaces the HD650 - don't know when but could be before September - in time for Xmas.

I was going to wait like yourself but had the money now and went for the 650's. The way Senn's been going, they may change there sound to a more 595 like sound for the new line? if so, I'll be glad I got the 650's.

May 16, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Do you have any reason to believe that it would be coming this year? I had thought that given so much time elapsed between the HD600 and HD650, we wouldn't be seeing a replacement for years to come.

Best,

-Jason

May 16, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Bah, the 650s are so cheap right now buy both
biggrin.gif
. You could even do what I did earlier and buy two!

May 16, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 16
I prefer my HD600s over my HD650s for jazz. Actually, I prefer them for everything...

May 16, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I prefer my HD600s over my HD650s for jazz. Actually, I prefer them for everything...

He said he's looking for something laid-back and flowy, that describes the HD650s exactly, smooth as silk, warmth and liquidity unheard of in any other headphone in it's price range, the HD600 is what I would call more neutral, flat, and imho a bit unrefined.

May 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
He said he's looking for something laid-back and flowy, that describes the HD650s exactly, smooth as silk, warmth and liquidity unheard of in any other headphone in it's price range, the HD600 is what I would call more neutral, flat, and imho a bit unrefined.

Not with a cardas cable upgrade...

May 16, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Not with a cardas cable upgrade...

Have you tried the HD650s with an Equinox cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I'll give you a week or so before temptation grabs you...
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
A better plan maybe to buy a pair of 580's(same tonal sound as 650's).They can be had for about $150. shipped(online) and If you hate them, you can dump them for $130.

IMO.

Not really the same tonal balance imho. I have here HD600 and HD650, and (surprisingly also for me!) they have (especially in some very busy - but clean - rock situations, like Yes' "Union") different balance. It can happen than one doesn't like the HD600 but like very much the HD650 (or viceversa). More present and cleaner, thightier and punchier bass in the HD650, more air and soundstage, but also a bit more "shy" in the mid-highs...

The differences between these two headphones (and so I think it's more with the HD580/HD650 comparison) are much more than frequency response graph show, imho.

bye
Andrew

May 16, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Have you tried the HD650s with an Equinox cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I'll give you a week or so before temptation grabs you...
biggrin.gif

Actually, I don't even have my 650s, I let my mom borrow them to listen to SACD for the first time. When I get them back, they are going up on the FS board. I am very happy with my little collection right now, HD600s for classical and jazz, DR150 and LTDs for rock, LTDs for everything else... I am leaning more towards amp upgrades now.

HD650s would be better than the 600s for rock though.

May 16, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Not really the same tonal balance imho. I have here HD600 and HD650, and (surprisingly also for me!) they have (especially in some very busy - but clean - rock situations, like Yes' "Union") different balance. It can happen than one doesn't like the HD600 but like very much the HD650 (or viceversa). More present and cleaner, thightier and punchier bass in the HD650, more air and soundstage, but also a bit more "shy" in the mid-highs...

The differences between these two headphones (and so I think it's more with the HD580/HD650 comparison) are much more than frequency response graph show, imho.

bye
Andrew

I see what your saying but I ment they are alike tonaly because they share the Sennheiser tone. as Grado has there tone and AKG, AT have there's

The 580's would give someone an idea of the senn tone without droping $300. IMO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back