HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace?
Apr 4, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 18
Sorry I haven't been replying, school and such. But I went over to Audio Consultants and the Headphones are fine. Plus, since there is a lot of concern for this topic, my listening levels, now a days, average around 70-75db. I rarely dabble in 80db range and forget 90db when I use these headphones. I've never knew how to compare Decibels to real life scenario's but now that I've been around with a simple decidable meter I got a good Idea of what everything is and I can confirm that when I had it on high the average would be 75-80db - ish and perhaps 85 but not for prolonged periods of time, say more than a song or two (5-10 min). I can also confirm that 85db and over for more than 10-20 mins just hurts. So moving on to the actual problem (if anyone will still be reading this).

I a little bit ago I was able to use a friends AMP/DAC combo which was the DACmini CX and it sounded absolutely fantastic on these HD 650s. I wanted to get one but found out that they got discontinued and were like $1,000. I know there is a massive difference in price tag ($250 to $1,000) but is this the difference between being able to power your desired headphones then to having them actually sound mint. I have been doing some tests and basically anything in the high frequency on the Magni 2 has just been noisy. For example the bass doesn't pack much of a punch, the trebles aren't as melodic, its like every sound is just meshed together. My guess is to much power, maybe? (this is also me comparing the DACmini CX to the Magni 2 and Modi 2 its not a fair comparison but I think it will help describe the issue more). At low the Magni 2 reaches my average listening level just fine and I'm able to hear more of the richness of the sound, but still not as crisp/clean as the DACmini.

You know the more a type the more it sounds like the Magni 2 and Modi 2 are doing their job just fine, but since I heard the DACmini I've been wanting to achieve that sound reproduction. In turn I push the Magni 2 too far and it doesn't sound as good. At least that what it sounds like to me. So I guess I should just upgrade to the Asgard 2 and Bifrost then.

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 18
Have you played with the gain switch in the back to see which settings sounds better to you? Be sure to turn the volume down to zero before you switch the settings.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 18
Its possibly hair that gets through the foam and onto the diaphram.  I had the same issue with hd580s.  You just need to take the ear pad off, remove the foam and get rid of any hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM2Cb0De1Y8 on dismantling. 

There are replacement foams, both official Sennheiser and not so official Chinese ones.  I believe some people would use a piece of pantyhose/stocking in place of the foam claiming a sonic improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back