HD 650s and slight vibration
May 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Neckername

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I just purchased some nice Sennheiser HD 650s about 3 months ago. A little while ago I noticed some crackling at very low frequencies, in the intro the the song Angel, by Massive Attack this is very noticeable. It used to only be in the right can, but now it is showing in both cans. The crackling is also noticeable when there is a bass punch. I am using my built in audio on my PC, I tried both the front and rear outputs, and using my phone as I have no other audio sources at the moment. The crackling almost sounds like sand, it is very faint, and at the same time it sounds like a vibration. I would like to know if cleaning would help (never done that before but sure I can find a guide on here somewhere), or what any other causes could be.

May 20, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 3
  Hello all, I just purchased some nice Sennheiser HD 650s about 3 months ago. A little while ago I noticed some crackling at very low frequencies, in the intro the the song Angel, by Massive Attack this is very noticeable. It used to only be in the right can, but now it is showing in both cans. The crackling is also noticeable when there is a bass punch. I am using my built in audio on my PC, I tried both the front and rear outputs, and using my phone as I have no other audio sources at the moment. The crackling almost sounds like sand, it is very faint, and at the same time it sounds like a vibration. I would like to know if cleaning would help (never done that before but sure I can find a guide on here somewhere), or what any other causes could be.

That probably explains it. Onboard audio has very high distortion...unless you have a soundcard installed. Otherwise, get a DAC to clean up that audio signal.

May 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 3

Your source gear might have it. Since it started on one side then later the other, it may not necessarily be the file itself, but could be some interference inside the PC chassis. If it also happens with the phone thenit could be some kind of airborne interference.

However, if it can isolated to the bass notes and then the other side only developed the issue at a later time than the other, then it's possible that there is some physical issue on the drivers (the headphone speakers, not software). Something very common with Grados is having hair (or pet fur) fall into the driver housings given the larger openings on the grill, but it's not unheard of on other open cans, especially these and similar Sennheisers. Best case - remove the grills and you'll find hair in there. Worst case, you could have damaged the drivers by listening too loud and one just developed the problem sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back