HD-650/Zu Mobius/Earmax Pro -- Summary Review
Dec 22, 2003 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sugano-san

1000+ Head-Fier
Ever since I hooked up the HD-650s to the ZU Mobius cable, I was convinced of that combination's huge potential for delivering first-class sound, especially when driven by the Earmax Pro. I am also under the impression that the HD-650's sound improved a lot during "burn-in". And the ZU Mobius cable has already worked wonders with my HD-600s. (See here)

I tend to listen at a volume that most others would describe as "low", but I do not want to sacrifice any fine detail. At the same time I am interested only in a truly full-bodied and pleasant sound that makes listening to music via headphones fun and an enjoyable experience. I need a sound that is rounded, yet dynamic and complete even at low volume. I can say without hesitation that the HD-650/Mobius/Earmax Pro combo meets my requirements.

To me, the HD-650s are unmistakeably related to the HD-600s, but with a little quantity of AKG K-1000 thrown in. When comparing the HD-650s to the HD-600s you can talk about the differences in bass, midrange, treble, perceived "humps", etc., and all of these observations may have a certain justification.

However, the most striking difference, and that which makes the purchase of the HD-650s with the ZU Mobius really worthwhile, is the illusion of "room" this combo is able to create. Just like the K-1000s, the HD-650s manage to reduce the "in-the-head" effect that normally comes with headphone listening. That ability of the HD-650s (in particular when driven by a really expensive amplifier) was described elsewhere as follows:

"I personally rank the Twin Head Mark II / HD-650 combination as maybe the best headphone/amplifier combination I've yet heard. [...] The sense of holography -- the existence of the listener in the place -- is something I haven't yet heard any other headphone hi-fi combo match [...]" (see: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...2405#post592405). There are a number of people who prefer the HD-650s to the HP-1000s (see: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/show...7485#post547485).

Due to its incredibly "open" and "airy", yet powerful and dynamic sound, the ZU Mobius just adds to the HD-650's virtues, thus providing a first-class sonic experience. The Earmax Pro delivers a sweet and charming, yet dynamic output that has a deep bass, an informative midrange and sparkling treble. It has sufficient power for all normal listening situations, but it is not created for those who prefer it extremely loud. Because of the benevolent sound of the EMP's OTL-design, listening fatigue is never an issue.

A HD-650-based system is a recognized recipe for inexpensive high-end sound. You can get a complete set consisting of HD-650s (EUR400), a ZU Mobius cable ($199 special offer for 2.5m) and an Earmax Pro (EUR520)for little more than EUR1,000. The HD-650/ZU Mobius/Earmax Pro combo creates a very noble and elegant sound and constitutes the entrance to real audio nirvana at an affordable price.

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the review! I agree with the illusion of room that can be created with the HD650/Zu. However, I have experienced something similar with the Meier Prehead amplifier, especially with crossfeed. So the basic statement may be that this headphone has an excellent capability to present room information if fed with a good signal. This is, of course, no criticism of the EarMax Pro that I am interested in myself especially as it works very well with HD650.
My experience was with a Lindemann CD player. Recently I tested the same system with a Philips 963SA and most of the very fine details and room illusion were gone, also on SACD. I am not at all saying that this player is bad, but I am afraid that besides the 1000 Euro for the headphone system, you also need a very good source to achieve the level of reproduction you desribed.

I don't think the HD650 sounds good at very high volume even if the amplifier can deliver it. The problem is not that the headphone distorts but that it feels unnatural to have an illusion of a room with music that is much louder than it would be in reality.

Interesting that you write this shortly after you got the Grado PS-1. I alternate between HD650 and RS-1, something similar?

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
I have experienced something similar with the Meier Prehead amplifier.

That's entirely possible. That amp is, however, EUR420 more expensive than the Earmax Pro. The message of the above review is therefore not that the EMP is the only amp that can deliver the goods, but one of the most affordable ones.

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
I am afraid that besides the 1000 Euro for the headphone system, you also need a very good source to achieve the level of reproduction you described.

That goes without saying, and I am not completely unhappy with the quality of my sources. There are other factors, too, such as the quality of the interconnects, the mains, the rack, etc., but none of these factors is the subject matter of the above review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back