HD-650 with or without foam?
May 17, 2007 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gurra1980

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi

EDIT: Be sure you read the question properly before voting!

Do you guys/gals prefere to have the foam that covers the drivers of the 650 removed or not?

I tryed to remove the foam for some time ago but didn't like it, but I tryed today again and listened some time without it and I must say it was a great improvement most of the veil dissapeared and the trebble was much more noticable. It made guitars more natural and the texture (or what you call it) of voices and instrument become more noticable.

How do you people that has tested it think it changed the sound of the 650? Tell us!

May 17, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 32
I preferred the foam in when I had mine. Taking it out did something slightly off and warbly to the upper midrange.

Sennheiser put it there for a reason imo.

May 17, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 32
I have both HD580 and HD650 without the foam. I put the foam inside the driver housing, inside the grill. To me, this sound little better
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 32
I tried it without the foam for a while then put it back...I also stored the foam in between the driver and metal screen when trying foamless, it was a good way to keep from misplacing it.

I also prefer the more balanced (imo) sound with the foam in place. When I want them to be brighter I use my 204.

May 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 32
it's there to cut down reflections.

May 18, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 32
omg, the thread name confused me. but disregard to my vote, I used 650 with the foams replace by tight stretched stocking (nylon).
I tried with foam, with out foam, replace foam with unwoven cloth, cloth, tissue, and nylon. I think cloth actually makes the headphone sounds more laid back (more laid back and ur... hmmm... veil?!?! compare to foam), while with out foam and nylon sounds really really really alike and being more upfront. while the unwoven cloth actually sounds quiet similar to foam

May 18, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Do you guys/gals prefere to have the foam that covers the drivers of the 650 removed or not?

I tryed to remove the foam for some time ago but didn't like it, but I tryed today again and listened some time without it and I must say it was a great improvement most of the veil dissapeared and the trebble was much more noticable. It made guitars more natural and the texture (or what you call it) of voices and instrument become more noticable.

How do you people that has tested it think it changed the sound of the 650? Tell us!

It improved their sound precisely as you describe - much brighter with less veil - more like Grados and ATH's. A "clear" improvement to me!

And... yes... the Aphex 204 does a fine job of balancing their sound also, along with a silver cable.

May 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And... yes... the Aphex 204 does a fine job of balancing their sound also, along with a silver cable.

I'll be trying a new silver cable with mine in about 3 weeks...along with pseudo balanced from my Central Station.

I was wondering about your final conclusions with the 204...so I guess you still have it ? ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back