HD 650 vs. 555 - humble and simple review
Jun 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

metrathon

New Head-Fier
Today I got my 650's, after 6 days of waiting. Currently I own a pair of 555 for over 2 years.

I was really curios to see if there is a noticeable difference between the 2 headphones, 650 vs 555. I was ready to sell the 650 the next day if I don't perceive enough difference to justify the price. I did the same with a new pair of Grado 325is last week. I hate placebo-ing myself :)

FYI I'm listening cd's out of a Denon dedicated cd player, so better than a iPod, but nothing fancy or specialized.

Ok, so here we go: the difference is BIG. Almost huge, but I wouldn't go so far. I would say it's a 50% improvement over the 555, maybe 60%.

I'm not an audiophile but I can tell you this:

1. The 650 are bigger, heavier and less comfortable. If the 555 were a burden for you, forget about the 650. They clamp the head much stronger and because the cups are bigger, they tend to pressure on the upper jaw. Not fun.

2. The 650's lows go deeper and sound cleaner. Be aware: at the first audition you'll think the 555 have more "bass", but it's wrong. The 555 are more boommier but DO NOT have better lows than the 650. It's just an impression.

3. The 650's have more stage, they open up the sound more, gives more room to the sound. You can pick up instruments and point in their direction. The 555 sounds more in your head, narrows the "scene" a lot more. It's like you're standing in front of an orchestra and with the 555 they all try to squeeze into a 10x10 meters area vs. the 650 where they can spread around into a 30x30 area or even more.

4. With the 650's you can hear more details because the boom that was covering them in the 555 is gone.

5. Finally, the 650's highs go upper and are cleaner.

That's it. I don't know how these cans sound on fancy rigs or from a lousy Babasonic mp3 player, but head to head, from my Denon cd player, these are my conclusions.

No regrets whatsoever. I love the sound, it's a welcome improvement and the $300 I spent (cans are used but mint) are well worthy. I would def. recommend the same move to whoever is serious about listening to music. Forget about getting these for gaming, when the bots are shooting your a@s, you wont give a s#%t about the "sound stage" difference.

Next step is to get a dedicated DAC/amp, with the same mindset: they gotta "deliver" a real difference, otherwise they're on their way back in a few days. If I gotta listen 90 days until I start "discovering" the ultra fine subtleties, they are not for me.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the n00b language.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 8
The 650's hooked up to a good amp are terrific. I think earerror has a nice setup with the 650's. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Strange that you find HD650 less comfortable. From my experience with both new, HD650 are a lot better on my head (bigger, less clamping force) and I can wear them for hours without problems.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 8
I think the clamping force will lessen with more usage, a lot of headphones do that. The padding itself is far more comfortable than the HD555 ones; those feel plain cheap in comparison

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Nice review , congrats on a great purchase

I'd like to add that sound stage is important for gaming as it should give better 3d positioning. The ATH AD700 are a gamer favorite for that reason and i'm sure the HD650s will be great in this respect to.  I had some HD580s and they we're great for music and gaming untill they broke albiet after 6 years of solid service. The 555s are very light and comfy,   after a few weeks most new cans will wear in and not feel tight at all.

Enjoy the 650s

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Soundstage isn't quite the same thing as a 3D positioning though, it definitely helps and some of it necessary before you can positioning but a headphone can have good directionality and '3D-imaging' without a huge soundstage. 

To OP: Yes, get a decent amplifier and DAC, the difference between good amplifiers is subtle to minuscule (as it should be) but between random hp out and a good one is huge for the HD-series. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Owning the HD595 and the HD650, the HD595 is relegated to "casual non musical" like when I need sound from youtube and could not be bothered booting up the reference system.  A good amp dac will open the sound some more on the HD650.  The HD650 is the most "natural" sounding phone I have had the pleasure of owning.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, a good amp and DAC are required to get the best out of any can.  For a first timer, I would recommend an all in one unit.  Plenty of those around for 300.00 or so.  Enjoy and happy tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back