HD-650 Veil Update: The "Veil" is Not Real
Mar 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #91 of 156
Here is a combination that ameliorates the "veiled" 650 sound signature...Benchmark USB DAC, Woo WA6SE, Stephan Audio Arts cable.  Now, will it sound like a screaming, screeching Grado 325?   No, but it is very pleasant.  The Denon 7000 has an overly pronounced bass, sucked out midrange and a tipped up highend...so no comparison is appropriate with this phone. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #92 of 156

Quote:
I can understand the need for EQing due to varying production qualities in that case EQing could be a god send but by saying you use EQ to increase the bass on your HD650's you are compensating for the fact that the HD650's, as I have prevously mentioned, do not have deep bass and do not have the bass you want. So it is a fault that you want to rectify.

I would expect that if you had the LCD-2's, Beyer T1's or HE-6's you would not want to EQ the bass unless you were a severe bass-head.

You are comparing a set of cans that retails for $500 (and until recently, could be easily found for quite a bit less) with three cans that are between $1,000 and $1,300.  Of course the ones that cost between two and three times more should sound better.  But that is hardly a fair comparison and is, ultimately, meaningless.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #94 of 156

Quote:
It is confusing after the update. Please clarify: you hear no veil now but in the title the Veil is Real?

I updated thread title when I thought there was a veil--which was due to me listening to the 650 at very high volumes with the marantz amp which gave the 650s a more distinct/crisp sound at high volumes when compared to the nuforce (probably because the marantz is much more powerful amp).  However, after comparing amps at normal listening volume, I hear no difference at all.   I also do not notice a veil on the 650;but I initially thought I did when comparing the D2000 with the 650 because switching between the harsh treble of the denon and the laid back 650s, to me, it came off as the 650s having a "veil."  When listening to 650s on their own, without comparing, I notice no veil.  

I'll update thread title to prevent confusion.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #95 of 156
I don't really notice a lack of treble on the 650 compared specifically to the Denons, in fact it's usually the HD650 making the Denons seem veiled.  What songs in particular did you find the treble of the HD650 less sparkly than the Denons?

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #96 of 156

Quote:
I don't really notice a lack of treble on the 650 compared specifically to the Denons, in fact it's usually the HD650 making the Denons seem veiled.  What songs in particular did you find the treble of the HD650 less sparkly than the Denons?

I find the Denons have a "veil" over the vocals and midrange in general. Harder to make out the lyrics of the songs, which drives me crazy.
wink_face.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #97 of 156

Quote:

This is something I forgot to mention.  When I was comparing the 650s at loud volumes between the nufoce and marantz, I pulled out the denons to compare.  There wasnt even a comparison.  Something about the loud volume must of really brought out the 650s to my ears or something, because I thought the denons sounded sub par by comparison--I thought the 650s sounded better in every way.  That being said, If I were to pull them out right now and listen at normal volumes, I'm sure I wouldn't think so poorly of the denons and I'm fairly confident I would find that they have more treble.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #101 of 156

Quote:
That's because you dont have an amp

It could be that is the reason. I have not yet tried the HD-600's out of a good amplifier.. I tried them out of a vintage integrated amplifier, and they sounded the same, though.

Another reason could be that HD-600's warm sound isn't best for that kind of music.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #102 of 156

Quote:

Quote:
I find the Denons have a "veil" over the vocals and midrange in general. Harder to make out the lyrics of the songs, which drives me crazy.
wink_face.gif

How would you guys compare the denon 5k/7k against the 650... is one more clear than the other? For music like jazz or classical, would there be a preference?

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #103 of 156
I've only substantially compared it to the d2k, but supposedly the differences between it and the 5k/7k are all subtle refinements.  With the D2k, the HD650 isn't more detailed per say, but its major advantage is a more balanced sound and open-backed cups lending to better instrument separation and a clearer sound due to quicker decay and more natural layering within the soundstage.  I prefer the HD650 for genres such as those.  HD650 doesn't touch the sub-bass of the Denons, though.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #104 of 156

Quote:
I've only substantially compared it to the d2k, but supposedly the differences between it and the 5k/7k are all subtle refinements.  With the D2k, the HD650 isn't more detailed per say, but its major advantage is a more balanced sound and open-backed cups lending to better instrument separation and a clearer sound due to quicker decay and more natural layering within the soundstage.  I prefer the HD650 for genres such as those.  HD650 doesn't touch the sub-bass of the Denons, though.

I think that's partially due to the advantage of closed headphones over open when it comes to bass.

I'm currently using the hd380 and looking for a good upgrade. I like the bass impact of the 380s and I feel like that's something I've found lacking in all the open cans I've auditioned... I really want to possibly pick up the hd650 but not if it's lacking in the bass I get from the 380.

I'm not saying the 380 is the bassiest headphone because it's really not, but when I compare it to something like the AKG Q701 or any of the grados... I notice the feeling that the bass is just gone. I hope it doesn't feel like that with the 650s or I'd feel like it wasn't really an upgrade.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #105 of 156

Quote:
You are comparing a set of cans that retails for $500 (and until recently, could be easily found for quite a bit less) with three cans that are between $1,000 and $1,300.  Of course the ones that cost between two and three times more should sound better.  But that is hardly a fair comparison and is, ultimately, meaningless.

I was not comparing the HD650's to the other phones mentioned and it would be silly to do so.
I was just reiterating a point made earlier that EQing was being used to compensate for a flew in the HD650's bass (in the users opinion) hence the reason I do not need, want or am able to use EQing in my situation.
Please read more carefully in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back