HD-650 Veil Update: The "Veil" is Not Real
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #77 of 156

Quote:
I don't know how you can say 'slightly distant' and 'prominant' at the same time.
I did not feel that the midrange was any more than slightly recessed until I heard other phones.

Where in the UK are you based?

What I mean is the whole soundstage and presentation of the HD650 is quite "far away" and distant, compared to something like Denon D2000, which is very "in your face"... But in relation to the other areas of the HD650 sound, such as treble and bass, the midrange is not "recessed" at all... It is prominent and clear.... Denon D2000 for example have a very recessed midrange.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #78 of 156

Quote:
I dont understand why people "dont do EQ"....

Why not? It does not degrade the sound quality....

It can, but not audibly in my experience. It's pretty idiotic to avoid using EQ's IMO. 

But yeah, if you are not willing to EQ a headphone good luck finding one that sounds perfect with out EQing, it will be a challenge. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #79 of 156

Quote:
It can, but not audibly in my experience. It's pretty idiotic to avoid using EQ's IMO. 

But yeah, if you are not willing to EQ a headphone good luck finding one that sounds perfect with out EQing, it will be a challenge. 

My main listening is not done via a computer so unless I use a separate graphic equiliser or use an integrated amp with some sort of tone controls EGing is not an option and I don't need it to be.

In my system the HE-6's, LCD-2 r2 and the Beyer T1's ALL sound bloody fantastic.

A good system does not need EQing. EQing is just a way of compensating for faults. I don't need to compensate for anything.  I would say 'challenge completed'
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #80 of 156
From your two posts there a conclusion would be that you only need one headphone and a good EQ.

You should not avoid EQ, for instance it has done miracles with D2000 but if does not work it does not work, just cut it out and get another driver...

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #81 of 156
EQ is not "compensating for faults"... It is tailoring the headphones to sound exactly how you want....

I do not use the tone controls on my amplifier because the degrade the sound quality but I use Foobar EQ to increase bass on the HD650.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #82 of 156

Quote:
What I mean is the whole soundstage and presentation of the HD650 is quite "far away" and distant, compared to something like Denon D2000, which is very "in your face"... But in relation to the other areas of the HD650 sound, such as treble and bass, the midrange is not "recessed" at all... It is prominent and clear.... Denon D2000 for example have a very recessed midrange.

Its strange you say the Denons are 'in your face' because every review of the Denon range I have read state that the Denons have a very recessed midrange and have a 'V' shaped frequency response.

As for the HD650's, in relation to the bass & treble, not being recessed I can actually understand that because due to the lack of deep bass, high treble and with a recessed treble as well the midrange won't actually feel recessed.I think 'distant' is a more accurate term because 'recessed' is relative to other parts of the frequncy response.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #83 of 156

Quote:
From your two posts there a conclusion would be that you only need one headphone and a good EQ.

You should not avoid EQ, for instance it has done miracles with D2000 but if does not work it does not work, just cut it out and get another driver...

I am not avoiding EQing its just not practical or required in my situation.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #84 of 156
Erm you just repeated exactly what I said but in different words....

Anyway this is boring. Think what you want. I think they are good combined with another pair for different genres... For some genres the HD650 are awesome.... Me and about another billion people share this sentiment. IMO they are not lacking treble... It is jsut right to my ears.... I prefer a smoother sound with headphones because excessive treble physically hurts my eardrums. The lower sub bass is slightly lacking but the midbass is good.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #85 of 156

Quote:
EQ is not "compensating for faults"... It is tailoring the headphones to sound exactly how you want....

I do not use the tone controls on my amplifier because the degrade the sound quality but I use Foobar EQ to increase bass on the HD650.

I can understand the need for EQing due to varying production qualities in that case EQing could be a god send but by saying you use EQ to increase the bass on your HD650's you are compensating for the fact that the HD650's, as I have prevously mentioned, do not have deep bass and do not have the bass you want. So it is a fault that you want to rectify.

I would expect that if you had the LCD-2's, Beyer T1's or HE-6's you would not want to EQ the bass unless you were a severe bass-head.

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #86 of 156

Quote:
Erm you just repeated exactly what I said but in different words....

Anyway this is boring. Think what you want. I think they are good combined with another pair for different genres... For some genres the HD650 are awesome.... Me and about another billion people share this sentiment. IMO they are not lacking treble... It is jsut right to my ears.... I prefer a smoother sound with headphones because excessive treble physically hurts my eardrums. The lower sub bass is slightly lacking but the midbass is good.

I have already said that they could be ideal for certain music.

£200 is still a lot of money for many people to spend on headphones so I would expect that the 'billion' other people have never heard or would never think of buying better or dearer headphones so they live in ignorant bliss.
If you like the 'dark' sound then great I am pleased for you but that does not change the fact that the HD650's are a very dark sounding headphone when used with nautral sounding source/amp.

And yes the HD650's DO LACK TREBLE. That is not a opinion it is actually a fact,Sennheiser voiced then that way.
The frequency response will show the lack of extension but will not show the recession of the treble which makes the lack of extension worst.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #88 of 156
After reading that HD 650 lacks in the high frequencies and has recessed midrange with uncontrolled bass I came to a conclusion that Superman is writing on this forum.

People please do not ask any more questions. Earthling's hearing senses are inferior comparing to Crypton's and I am so afraid that at the end of the day we might conclude that we are deaf.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #89 of 156
The treble does not lack extension for me it sounds perfect.... If you for some reason enjoy listening to super high pitched sounds then I suppose you could call it lacking.... There is plenty of detail there and it is super smooth and non sibilant. ( I have the newer version )

The mid range is not even remotely recessed... That is just plain wrong.... The overall sound is slightly distant compared to some headphones but the midrange is not even remotely recessed.

The bass is not even remotely uncontrolled.... The bass is very well controlled..... They could do with more sub bass but the mid bass is great.

In conclusion... All of those statements are basically wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back