HD-650 Veil Update: The "Veil" is Not Real
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #31 of 156
I know it's been said before, but one of the other big differences during "burn in" is the foam.   A few months ago I replaced the earpads on my HD650s after five or six years.  I hadn't realized just how flattened they'd become compared to new pads until I held them side by side.  The completed side looked twice as thick as the side with the old pad on it still.   But with this came a bit of distance and "veil" that I'd forgotten about.   Within a day or two the "new" foam compressed just enough to put the driver back where it belongs, and the newfound "veil" dissipated, but proper soundstaging had still returned compared to the flat pads.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #32 of 156
I used to think my HD-600 sounded fine,until i compared them to a pair of Grado RS1,i remember thinking to myself,Oh crap! i bought the wrong headphones,i was hearing things i'd never heard before in music i was familliar with,needless to say it's been all Grado since then,my last pair are the PS-500,Grado's got a real winner with these,they sound awesome!

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #34 of 156
I was so much into hearing "the veil" that I forgot to listen to music.

The rolled off treble actually makes me think that it sounds like it should sound. Highs do not sound offending to my ears and they are still brilliantly textured with all of the elements in the right place.

I wish I had the 650s when I started listening to music.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #36 of 156

I found that I was doing this as well at first.  Everytime I put them on, I was looking for the veil.  I took a day off and came back telling myself to just listen to the headphones and not think about it.  suddenly the headphones werent so veiled
Quote:
I was so much into hearing "the veil" that I forgot to listen to music.

The rolled off treble actually makes me think that it sounds like it should sound. Highs do not sound offending to my ears and they are still brilliantly textured with all of the elements in the right place.

I wish I had the 650s when I started listening to music.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #37 of 156
Agreed gokica

I often feel that way when I first put on my HD650's.

They aren't as bright and lively as some headphones ... but ... after listening for a while and enjoying everything I can throw at them, I never tire of them and always like listening to them for extended periods.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #40 of 156

I consider the HD650 a legendary headphone. Its suppose to sound that way so you can listen for hours and not feeling fatigue. With HD650 at higher volume, it really brings out all the details without the high spike peak cutting your ears... I can never do that with Denon - yes it may sound exciting initially but after an hour of high volume my ears starts to ring & I have to take the headphone off. With HD650, I can have it 8 hrs in office and walk away humming tunes.. no fatigue whatsoever.

If you want a really good amp - on par with a $2000-$3000 amp that goes well with HD650. Vintage amp is the way to go.. I recomend any Marantz 22xx. These amps are very powerful, it will blast all the details out of HD650 and beside, most have tonal control. With dark recordings - I normally put +1 or 2 treble and it sound fantastic... No veil whatsoever and never feeling fatigue. These vintage amps had very powerful bass... so powerful, it can clip the HD650.. and best of all, they cost only $200-$300 from ebay. These amps will blow the veil out of the water
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #41 of 156

I consider the HD650 a legendary headphone. Its suppose to sound that way so you can listen for hours and not feeling fatigue. With HD650 at higher volume, it really brings out all the details without the high spike peak cutting your ears... I can never do that with Denon - yes it may sound exciting initially but after an hour of high volume my ears starts to ring & I have to take the headphone off. With HD650, I can have it 8 hrs in office and walk away humming tunes.. no fatigue whatsoever.

If you want a really good amp - on par with a $2000-$3000 amp that goes well with HD650. Vintage amp is the way to go.. I recomend any Marantz 22xx. These amps are very powerful, it will blast all the details out of HD650 and beside, most have tonal control. With dark recordings - I normally put +1 or 2 treble and it sound fantastic... No veil whatsoever and never feeling fatigue. These vintage amps had very powerful bass... so powerful, it can clip the HD650.. and best of all, they cost only $200-$300 from ebay. These amps will blow the veil out of the water
L3000.gif

Clipping the HD 650?

That sounds VERY bad for the drivers, in addition to being far above recommended listening volumes.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #42 of 156

yeah .. I accidentally press the loudness button and the thumping of the bass could actually clip the HD650. I listen to low volume all the time..this was when i just "playing" around the amp.. But the HD650 survive..
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #43 of 156
I think the HD650 sound is really nice and is very lifelike.

Far too many people seem to associate "hifi" sound with massively over emphasised treble.... When you are listening to live music or just sounds in real life does treble sound like that? No it doesnt.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #44 of 156
I think the HD650 sound is really nice and is very lifelike.

Far too many people seem to associate "hifi" sound with massively over emphasised treble.... When you are listening to live music or just sounds in real life does treble sound like that? No it doesnt.

Not really.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #45 of 156
Hifi = high fidelity = true to the source.  I'm not sure why this is so confusing to people.  In those regards, the HD650 is not true to the source.  They are intentionally colored to produce a pleasing effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back