HD-650 V.S. E4C ?!? Help!
Oct 17, 2005 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

icestorm

New Head-Fier
I can't decide myself between the HD-650 or the E4c as my next headphones.

I currently use the MS1 driven from a Prodigy LT. I like metal, classical, techno and play games a lot (World of Warcraft these past months and CS2 from time to time).

I listen to music mostly at home so the HD-650 would be the likely option. But I have an ipod with the crappy headphones and home is sometimes very noisy (Twins, TV or both at the same time :)
I am looking for something more neutral than my MS1 and nice bass. It has to be a sizeable upgrade from the MS1 too in sound quality.

It seems I could get the senn for reasonable amount of money from Germany. How would these headphones compare?

What should I go for?!?

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 8
You know, choosing between one high-end full-size open headphone and an in-ear monitor is a pretty weird choice. There's some really simple criteria that would clinch the decision: (a) do you want or need the isolation and portability that the Shure provides? or, (b) do you prefer the comfort of a full-size headphone?

Another thing is that there's lots of other headphones that fit between those extremes, which might be better for you. And yet another thing is the fact that you don't mention having an amplifier.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 8
this question isn't weird, it's completely unreasonable.

you're trying to compare two headphones that are designed to meet completely different requirements.

the only thing they have in common is that both cost money.

Oct 18, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 8
get a different full-sized headphone. maybe a closed one, like the at aX00's. one that doesn't Require an amp to sound good. if you get the 650's, you need to have a good source/amp.

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't believe my request is completely unreasonable. I am not that concerned about comfort (It has not been an issue for me yet). I am concerned about sound quality for my stated use and musical preferences. If it is portable, it's a plus as I have an ipod.

Are we saying that portability is a dramatic trade-off in the case of the HD-650 V.S E4C? In this case, I would go for the Senn.

The prodigy 7.1 LT has a built-in amplifier, which I was told is enough to drive the Senn.

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 8
I hear ya. I'd go with the 650s. Mainly because I want a pair myself!!
wink.gif

The isolation of a canalphone, while nice, maybe too much. With my etys I can't hear a damn thing! No phones, no motorcars, nothing!! Which is good, don't get me wrong...but everyone else may find that annoying. But if you could care less -- tuning-out via hi-fidelity canalphones is UNMATCHED by any technology thus far.
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 8
I like my AT A900's for home. They don't sound as good as a properly powered HD600 or Grado SR225's, but they offer decentisolation (from the tv & living room) and sound good enough for use with my PC.

I had some HD600's for a while, but quickly saw the need for a better source & amp. I decided not to go down that road. I also have the E4c's which are a fine choice for the ipod. I either use them or my Grado SR60's for use at work (like right now actually
wink.gif
)

I'm not quite sure I understand why you want the HD650's. Do some research and I think you'll find that they require an amp and good source to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back