HD 650: Tight bass and fast enough attack speed for dark psytrance??
Oct 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #16 of 31
the tracks sound great via the D2000 w/JMoney pads.  the HD650 can be dynamically too laid back for some without empasis on note attack.  the HD650 excels in tone/detail vs. rhythm/drive, but is nonetheless a great HP that everyone should own at least once.  

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
You'll have a lot of fun with the Ultrasones... 

X2

Ultrasone works fantastically with electronic. I won't listen to electronic on anything other than my Pro 900's. It's big bass, but it's fast, tight, controlled, and euphoric. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Anyway, you want lots of tight, deep bass, right?
The HD-650 works great for that. Though they're particular about amps. For deep, tight bass you'd want clean solid state with lots of power.

Yes, that's why Burson HA-160 looks very interesting to me. According to this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/497166/burson-audio-ha-160-review it also brings some energy to the HD 650's treble.

"The HA-160 seems to be a bit on the bright side. Now I have no problems with this whatsoever but I do know of a few people who didn’t appreciate the experience. A while ago, I found myself looking at the HA-160 on Burson’s website and I saw that they designed it with the HD650 in mind. I’ll let you make your own conclusions from that."

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 31
I don't think I've ever heard dark psytrance. Suppose I'll have to add it to the list of things I need to try. :)
Anyway, you want lots of tight, deep bass, right?
The HD-650 works great for that. Though they're particular about amps. For deep, tight bass you'd want clean solid state with lots of power. The classic example is the Dynalo/Gilmore Lite. A bit over 1W of power and clean and clear as the morning light. You might also want to consider the M^3 which can be built with a variable bass boost control and the new O2. I haven't head the O2, but it sure has clean measurements. So, no, you do not have to spend a fortune on an amp. But you will have to spend a few hundred on the right one.
As for the Denons, they produce a lot of bass that I don't find particularly clean. Clean bass in closed headphones is hard to find. Most people are happy with the huge amount. The Grado RS-1 is quite colored. I enjoyed a pair for several years then burned out on the sound. It was like having ketchup on everything I ate. The HD-650 has a slightly dark coloration overall, but it is evenhanded and not too bad. The HD-600 is a bit more neutral.

I've heard a number of amps with the HD650 and the Gilmore Lite (a Dynalo design) was one of the best I had heard with the Senn. To me it drove them to their full potential and did the best with the HD650's somewhat rolled off highs. It also manages to control the sometimes bloomy bass that has that mid bass hump.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 31
Any solid state amp will do, I think. . . . I listen to some similar music like Infected Mushroom. Sounds awesome to me. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
Why do you insist on the HD650 for psy?

From what I've gathered; they seem to be very comfortable (this is extremely important to me), non-fatiguing (try listening to darkpsy or any other intense rhythm-based music for many hours with bad or too harsh sound) and they are said to do an excellent job with all kinds of music. I don't like the idea of using different headphones for different genres.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:

From what I've gathered; they seem to be very comfortable (this is extremely important to me), non-fatiguing (try listening to darkpsy or any other intense rhythm-based music for many hours with bad or too harsh sound) and they are said to do an excellent job with all kinds of music. I don't like the idea of using different headphones for different genres.

I dont think they are the most comfy hps out there. Second, if the music is too intense, you can always change to some nice ambient music.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back