HD-650 stock cable to 4-pin XLR (howto???)
Mar 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

orys

500+ Head-Fier
hi there!

i want to terminate my stock HD650 cable to 4-pin XLR for use with LD MKVII until i can afford a proper uprated 4-pin XLR cable.

Can someone tell me how to do it before i cut the cable at the end of the 1/4" plug please?

is the HD650 colour coded or all cables are the same colour.

I would appreciate your help guys.

Thanks in advance.
Tio

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes the stock cable is color coded. The grounds are not coded, so they are a copper color. right is red and left is green.

Each wire has a coating of some sort of material on them so it's will have to be burnt off first otherwise the solder won't flow onto it.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 14
1 = L+
2 = L-
3 = R+
4 = R-
On the 4-pin plug.
Sennheiser plugs:
Red big pin = R-
Red little pin = R+
Black big pin = L+
Blck little pin = R-

You'll need a pocket torch to burn the enamel off the wires, then some flux and solder to tin them, then you can use the above instructions to identify each one. Usually the uncolored wires are the grounds, and the colored wires are positives. It's probably easier to build a new DIY cable from scratch then to mess with those enamel wires.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 = L+
2 = L-
3 = R+
4 = R-
On the 4-pin plug.
Sennheiser plugs:
Red big pin = R-
Red little pin = R+
Black big pin = L+
Blck little pin = R-

so i need to use a multimeter to check which is which after i cut the 1/4" right?

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll need a pocket torch to burn the enamel off the wires...

Sorry, but I can't help cringing when I read stuff like this. :atsmile>

A solder pot is really the best way to go when dealing with enameled wire. You can get a nice little Hexacon mini pot for less than $100. I'm half tempted to buy one that could just be sent around from one person to the next for those who'd only need to use it once.

se

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Koyaan,

Sorry man i didnt understand sh|te
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by orys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koyaan,

Sorry man i didnt understand sh|te
frown.gif

Sorry.

Apparently the wiring in the stock HD-650 is enameled wire (i.e. magnet wire) which has a thin film of polyurethane on the individual strands that insulates them.

Scootermafia suggested using a pocket torch (little hand held gas torches) to burn off the insulation.

That's not the best way to do it as it leaves a lot of burnt insulation on the wires. The better way to do it is with a solder pot. A solder pot is a heated pot that holds molten solder and is most often used to "tin" the ends of wires to prep them for soldering.

Hexacon makes a miniature solder pot that's perfect for this kind of thing that sells for around $80.

31NY3CTXKJL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

You'd also need a piece of bar solder (to add solder to the pot - DO NOT use regular flux core wire solder for doing this) and some liquid flux.

You fill the pot and heat it up, then apply a little flux to the wires, and dip them into the pot, moving the wire in a circular motion so that the melted insulation leaves a trail behind it and doesn't cling to the wire when you pull it out.

Though it would probably be less expensive to just send the cable to someone and have them terminate it for you.
atsmile.gif

se

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 14
I am going to use a torch to burn it a bit and then sand paper to do the rest of it.

Ill post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back