Hd 650 - schiit valhalla 2 or lyr 2 so confused Vote for your help
Jan 25, 2015 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mesamitch

New Head-Fier
Hey guys total noob when it comes to head phone stuff

I am using a Schiit modi and magni with sennheiser hd 650s and sennheiser hd8 dj's

I am more trying to make my hd 650s sound better even though I love them already just want to upgrade to see how much better they can get

I am so confused over the lyr 2 or valhalla 2 going to buy one of them in a few days but I don't know what's going to sound better

I don't know what tubes sound like and I don't know what all the lingo means like fast slow articulate and all that stuff I only know sound stage lol sorry guys I'm so stupid with this stuff

So basically I just want to know lyr 2 or valhalla 2 with hd 650s and in terms that i can under stand how it sounds better

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know what tubes sound like and I don't know what all the lingo means like fast slow articulate and all that stuff I only know sound stage lol sorry guys I'm so stupid with this stuff

When it comes to bass for example:

Fast: double pedal bass drum goes "thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud" while bass guitar riffs go "dum, da, da, da, da, da, da, dum" 

"Slow": double pedal bass drum goes "thwuuthwuuuthwuuuthwuuuthwuuuthwuuuthwuuuthwuuu" while bass guitars rigs go "dwuuumdwaaadwaaadwaaadwaaadwaaadwaaadwuuum"

Boomy: double pedal bass drum goes "THWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuuTHWUuu" while bass guitars rigs go "DWUUUMDWAADWAAWAAWAAWAAWAAWAADWUUUUUM"

Articulate: for the most part should be the same as "fast," but in some cases you could actually have a longer note that fades out a lot faster otherwise. So notes that go as the bass guitar riffs above might sound more like "duuum, daaa, daaa, daaa, daaa, daaa, daaa, duuum."

So basically I just want to know lyr 2 or valhalla 2 with hd 650s and in terms that i can under stand how it sounds better

Valhalla is a pure tube amp described by Schiit as a "smoky jazz club" - that means the sound generally would come out with a sweeter midrange, sharp edges in treble probably rounded out. Valhalla 2 could be a touch more neutral but I think the main improvement was that it won't have any issues driving lower impedance headphones, plus a preamp output.Lyr2 has a LOT of clean power - maybe not as low in total harmonic distortion as the Asgard but it can dish out a lot more power past the Asgard's limits. If you like listening to dynamic music loud then go for the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back