HD 650, RS1, RS2 or GS1 with Stello HP100
May 14, 2007 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

botching

Head-Fier
Hi,
Guys, what SQ will I expect if I choose either one of those mentioned above to go with the amp?
Listen mostly to smooth jazz, classic rock, electric blues and female vocals.
Just looking for another flavor than the K701 .
thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 10
Not sure about the amp, sorry about that one. But if you want great one for JAZZ and female vocals, GS1000 it is.

For classic rock and electric blues, RS2 will be the best, IMO.

May 14, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 10
I would go for RS-1/RS-2 or HD650. My RS-2 works fine with HP100 but HD650 has the best synergy with it (at least in my setup). You already own K701 and K1000 so for something totally different, I'd go for RS-1/RS-2.

Smooth jazz: HD650
Classic rock: RS-1 (RS-2)
Electric blues: HD650
Female vocals: HD650

GS1000 sucks in pretty much everything (IMO) so I won't recommend it.

May 14, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 10
I just received my RS-2 and am loving it. There is one thing that I have to do and that is to use EQ. The 2.5kHz peak is too much for my ears. Without EQ, I can hardly turn the volume up to hear the bass before the upper mid peak becomes too piercing. I am really against EQ because it does have certain inadequacies, but I must use it for the RS-2 otherwise they become unlistenable.

Here is the EQ I use for iTunes and rock:

This is the EQ for just normal listening:

I slightly boost the bass region and lower mids to add some warmth to the otherwise thin sound. The treble is mainly boosted to improve the overall ambience retrieval. 2.5kHz attenuated for good reasons. I don't understand how one can listen to them without attenuating at 2.5kHz. Maybe it's because I'm using them straight out of the Audiophile USB... (incidentally, I don't use EQ with the Baby O)

For rock, the RS-2 with a bit of EQ'ing absolutely destroy the HE60. It sounds thinner, more upfront, more lively, has better bass extension and has better bass impact. The HE60 sounds smoother, much more refined, more detailed but nowhere near as thrilling to listen to. It's too tame and too perfect sounding. I'd prefer the HE60 for classical music, but it just doesn't do it for me for rock.

I usually don't listen to much rock, but when I do, I listen to Guns 'n Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Darkness, Dire Straits, Coldplay, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Maroon 5, etc... Now that I have the RS-2, I've been given a completely different outlook on rock music and you bet I'll be listening to much more of it
biggrin.gif
I don't recall the SR-325i or even the HF-1 giving me the same pleasure... I wonder how the RS-1 sound.

Two thumbs up
tongue.gif

(no idea about synergy with the Stello though...)

May 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my RS-2 and am loving it. There is one thing that I have to do and that is to use EQ. The 2.5kHz peak is too much for my ears. Without EQ, I can hardly turn the volume up to hear same pleasure... I wonder how the RS-1 sound.

I'm just wondering how well burned in your RS-2's are and also have you tried flipping your pads so the flat side is on your ear. Both of these will help the highs IMO. Just some thoughts.

May 15, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 10
My RS-2 is serial number #531, so I'm pretty sure they're borderline vintage
wink.gif
I would say - plenty of burn-in
biggrin.gif
The midrange is much more intimate and mellow than I expected despite the 2.5kHz peak. I'm used to the sound now... no EQ any more! I absolutely despise EQ as it takes away from the music.

Tried reversing the bowls... not a massive difference
confused.gif
Reversed doesn't sound quite as good, but I can't really pinpoint why...

May 15, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 10
I have the 701, 650 and the RS1. I listen through the Earmax Silver amp.

For female vocals I'd have to recommend the Senn 650. At least thats the pair I go for whenever I'm listening to female vocals.

May 15, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure about the amp, sorry about that one. But if you want great one for JAZZ and female vocals, GS1000 it is.

For classic rock and electric blues, RS2 will be the best, IMO.

+1. I was surprised at how good the GS did female vocals, because I don't normally listen to that. Sorta jumped out at me. Though I do agree that they are very polarising, to me they are still good for rock. I just heard Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath with them, and it's a completely different song. Just drew me in completely. Amazing atmosphere. I'd recommend them if you enjoy your music to exist in "space". If you prefer spatial intimacy all the time, they are not for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back