HD-650 Right Channel Cutting Out
May 30, 2006 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JefferyK

100+ Head-Fier
The right channel of my Sennheiser HD-650s is starting to cut out now and then. I removed the pads and brushed out all the dust and hairs. The sound quality seemed to improve a little, but the problem wasn't solved. I think it's either a short in my Cardas cable or an issue with the right headphone cord plug. I can't figure it out. The problem seems to come and go.

Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Anyone know what exactly causes it? Any suggestions regarding solutions?

Thanks.

Jeffery

May 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Someone last week posted a similar thread and had some excelent pics of the inside of the phone connector housing. You have to bend the contact spring so that it makes contact with the cable plugs. The spring can get "set" after some time, and loose its elasticity.

Garrett

May 30, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 6
Have you tried using the stock cable that came with the headphones to rule out any problems with the connector?

I saw some pics of the process and it does look a little tedious. I'd do what you can to determine if the connector is the problem before you start ripping them appart.

Best of luck man. Also if it doesn't work with the stock cable either i'd send it into Sennheiser if it's still under warrantee.

May 31, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the tips. I'll look for the thread about the contact spring. And I'll try the stock cable. I'd rather not take the HD-650s apart if I don't have to.

Jeffery

May 31, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, I found the thread and the link, and followed the instructions. The spring spacing was uneven. I fixed the spacing, and the problem was solved. My HD-650s sound great again. Yahoo!

Thanks again.

Jeffery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back