HD 650 of an Audigy?
Jun 24, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBlanchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How effective would a pair of HD 650s be off an audigy 2 ZS?

what would I loose from the SQ?

To the first, they would sound good, but nothing dazzling.

To the second, you would be missing a lot. That's my opinion though; IIRC some people think it sounds fine with onboard sound. But considering how well the HD 650 scales...you'd be missing an indescribable amount of its true potential.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Mm, I would recommend you start off with either a HD 580 or HD 600. The HD 650 doesn't really shine until you start to reach the top of mid-fi gear.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 12
go straight for the top: hd650 (you'll probably end up buying one eventually anyways) and when you get enough money, invest in an amp and try to get a better soundcard. right now they'll sound decent but as mentioned earlier, they obviously won't perform to their full potential.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go straight for the top: hd650 (you'll probably end up buying one eventually anyways) and when you get enough money, invest in an amp and try to get a better soundcard.

I have to agree strongly with Shahrose. Get the absolute best headphones you can afford and work toward the best amplification for those headphones. What you hear is the most important part of the sound chain from my perspective. Some will argue successfully that the HD600 is a more musical, less 'veiled' headphone. Do not discredit their opinion. Ray Samuels, noted designer and manufacturer of high end heaphone amps, prefers the HD600 over the HD650.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes Tim, they are both 300 ohm impedance.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBlanchard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't the 600 and the 650 have the same impendance =S

It's not necessarily accurate to say that the HD650's are harder to drive than HD600's, but the above posters mean to imply that the latter phones inherently sound better than the former without an amp just as a direct effect of their sound signature.

In the same sense, it's inaccurate to claim that the HD650's sound better than the HD600's even assuming proper amplification is provided. In reality, these two phones simply have different sound signatures, with the HD600 retaining a slight treble peak, and the HD650's focusing more on accentuated bass and midbass; but one is not better than another.

Generally, though, I agree with the "go big or go home" philosophy as it applies to making purchases. In other words, I'd suggest that the OP should stay away from the HD595's and below, instead choosing from Sennheiser's top end selection based on his listening preferences.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 12
would the 600's be best if I want a slighlty cleaner sound?

I listen to a fair bit of acoustic music, (jazz, classical, Jamie Cullum, Dido etc.) as well as a fair bit of electronic (Moby, Pendulum etc.) as well as a good amount of classic rock.

what phone would be best for those genres?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back