HD 650 First Impressions
Jul 24, 2004 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

kenneth

Head-Fier
I am in the process of trying out a pair of the Sennheiser HD 650's ordered from HeadRoom. I have been the happy owner of a pair of HD 600's so I had to try these new headphones out.
My first impressions was that these headphones were slightly darker then the HD 600's, the sound had more weight or substance to it and that bass is stronger and more extended. Some reviews, here and elsewhere, have stated that that the HD 650 are not as neutral sounding as the HD 600's. I do not agree. Both the HD 600 and HD 650 excel at producing differing instrumental timbrel qualities. There is no coloration in the HD 650 which reduces its capacity in this regard which I can detect. Yes, the HD 650 is ever so slightly darker overall, if that is what is meant. The difference on a solo violin recording, for example,is no greater then what change of string brands could make. Lower pitched instruments such as violas and cellos are more life-like on the HD 650's. The more I listen to the HD 650's the less noticeable this bit of darkness becomes.
The issue of tonal substance is something of a two edged sword. There is NOTHING on a CD which you will not hear through the HD 650. The slightest sound, no matter how far away it was recorded or played will come out softly but clear as a bell. This actually takes away from some effects a composer or performer may intended. With the HD 600s there are times you can barely hear a whisp of sound and you wonder, "What is it?" There are no musical mysteries or surprises with the HD 650s. The added tonal weight of the HD 650 creates a number of illusions. The soundstage seems smaller then the HD 600's and there appears to be less space between the musicians. This is not actually the case if one listens very carefully but it is two first (wrong) impressions I got. What is not an illusion is that the HD 650 is more forward sounding then the HD 600 (nowhere as forward or agressive as the Grado headphones tend to be). This can be a plus or minus depending on ones taste. For most of my CDs I prefer the HD 600's more laid back presentation but I can live wth the HD 650's.
The bass on the HD 650 is its shining glory. Tight, full, bottomless, nearly euphoric in quality. If there is anything unnatural about the sound from the HD 650's it is that its bass is almost too good to be true. One does not hear bass like this from a live symphony orchestra, though it would be wonderful if one could.
Overall, the HD 650 is a great headphone, well worth looking into. I can see how some people still prefer the HD 600s however. Call HeadRoom and ask about their special price; it is not advertised.

Jul 24, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 57
Glad you liked your new cans.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 57
These phones do change quite a bit with use(soundwise).The bass lightens a little,but remains very tight and articulate.Until I bought the 650's,I did'nt realize what it was about the 600's I did'nt like.It's all in that beautiful bass,and classical has never sounded so good to my ears.These phones are slightly more laid back than the 600's,but the detail is all there.Maybe I'll use the 600's again someday,but I doubt it.Gary.

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 57
I'm starting to wonder if the pair I had was faulty in some way. Everyone speaks of the HD650 as more forward than the 580/600, but it sounded far more laid back to me.
confused.gif

Edit: Except Gary it would seem, maybe theres some truth in it after all...

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I'm starting to wonder if the pair I had was faulty in some way. Everyone speaks of the HD650 as more forward than the 580/600, but it sounded far more laid back to me.

Maybe it was an amp issue?

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 57
The HD650 has an overal smoothness to its sound. The sparkle in the trebble just doesn't come through as well as it does on the HD600.

On the other hand, I can see why people like the trebble on the HD650, it's less fatiguing.

Jul 25, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
These phones do change quite a bit with use(soundwise).The bass lightens a little,but remains very tight and articulate.

Interesting, the bass was nearly non-existent for me until I had put some hours on them. Now, with break-in all but done (I haven't put 100 hours on them yet, but I haven't heard much change recently) there is ALOT more bass (and it sounds better as well) than at first. I was also breaking in the amp at the same time though... perhaps that had something to do with it <shrug> I to am enjoying my 650's very much! Now I just need a decent source and amp (PPX3 on the way!)...

Jul 25, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 57
Kenneth:
"If there is anything unnatural about the sound from the HD 650's it is that its bass is almost too good to be true. One does not hear bass like this from a live symphony orchestra, though it would be wonderful if one could. "

The bass becomes even better with the Zu headphone cable, but even then doesn't sound artificial to me (you also get an overall increased transparence with this cable). I beleive that the difference to live performances to a large extent depends on that many recordings are close miked and that this becomes more evident with HD650 than HD600. This also applies to the less laid-back presentation of HD650.

My experience is that HD650 needs about 150 hours of burn-in. Some bass heavy music at high volume can help, or maybe even be necessary to loosen up the bass. You don't have to listen to that!

Jul 25, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
"If there is anything unnatural about the sound from the HD 650's it is that its bass is almost too good to be true. One does not hear bass like this from a live symphony orchestra, though it would be wonderful if one could. "

This sounds really incredible. If there is better bass than a live performance, is that a sign of coloration or something? When several double bass players bow loudly in the lower register in a good concert hall, to my ears and body there is a huge visceral impact. The notes don't sound loud because of our attenuated lopudness perception in that freq range but the body feels it. In my experience no speaker system has reproduced that visceral sensation. I would imagine headphones should have even a harder time providing visceral impact.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth
If there is anything unnatural about the sound from the HD 650's it is that its bass is almost too good to be true. One does not hear bass like this from a live symphony orchestra, though it would be wonderful if one could.

I'm probably the biggest HD650 lover here and I can't agree with this, either.
There is nothing, NOTHING that compares to the sound of a symphony orchestra when all the strings are really geared up. It's one of the most beautiful sounds on earth.
The bass of the 650s is incredible. It's about as close as a headphone can get but hey, it's a reproduction.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 57
The HD650s have the most accurate overall bass response of any headphone I've heard. Bass signature is very sensitive to equipment with the HD650s and ESPECIALLY the type of music and recording you are using. Rock will sound muddy if its that type of rock and that type of recording. Super low end bass hits will come out, but perfectly tight and articulate. There is a seemingly limitless bottom end to the phones.

I have played in several symphonies and chamber orchestras, and the awesome bottom end produced by a symphony is unbeatable. It will make you want to go to more live performances and listen less to equipment!!

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth
If there is anything unnatural about the sound from the HD 650's it is that its bass is almost too good to be true. One does not hear bass like this from a live symphony orchestra

As much as that commnet "seems to be" a compliment in favor of the 650's, substantially it is not, and it calls for objections.

You are listening to a recording of a symphonic orchestra through 650's, and the bass sounds too good to be true. Let's analyze this a bit. What recording are we talking about? How in depth do you know that recording, not musically, but how it was created at the technical level? Do you know for instance where they placed their microphones? Are you sure they placed them where the audience is, so that the bass would get recorded as someone at the audience would hear it? Also, why are you ignoring what the mastering engineers could have done to the recording? You are placing on the shoulders of the headphones things that can be the responsibility of the recording, or as a matter of fact, even of the orchestra that played that recording.

If X feature of a headphone, or of an audio component in general is good, or too good, then it is too good period. I think it's pointless to say it is too good to be true because you don't perceive that feature manifest so well when attending live concerts. On the one hand then it wouldn't be "too good", and on the other, don't forget you are listening to a recording, and a specific one for that matter. Many things affect the sound between the source of sound whose recording you are listening, and the headphones that reproduce that sound.

Jul 25, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
As much as that commnet "seems to be" a compliment in favor of the 650's, substantially it is not, and it calls for objections.

First of all, you are listening to a recording of a symphonic orchestra through 650's, and the bass sounds too good to be true. Let's analyze this a bit. What recording are we talking about? How in depth do you know that recording? Do you know they placed their microphones where the audience is, so that the bass would get recorded as someone at the audience would hear it? Also, why are you ignoring what the mastering engineers could have done to the recording? You are placing on the shoulders of the headphones things that can be the responsibility of the recording, or as a matter of fact, even of the orchestra that played that recording.

If X feature of a headphone, or of an audio component in general is good, or too good, then it is too good period. I think it's pointless to say it is too good to be true because you don't that feature manifest so well when attending live concerts. On the one hand then it wouldn't be "too good", and on the other, don't forget you are listening to a recording, and a specific one for that matter. Many things affect the sound between the source of sound whose recording you are listening, and the headphones that reproduce that sound.

This reminds me of all those pc gamers who are utterly obsessed with realism; as if the purpose of a game is to be as realistic as possible. One doesn't need a videogame for the "R"eal. Nor do I think that music/audio recordings should necessarily be based on what they sound in "real life." At what point did reality take priority over aesthetics? Has postmodernity not opened the possibility of the complete opposite? You dogmatic realists... one can only wonder how many incredible listening sessions you've wasted because it didn't sound like what you think you remember it sounding like at a concert hall.

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 57
I remember when I first got my HD650s, they sounded really constipated. The treble was extremely dry and dull, and bass although was there, it was really restricted and uncontrolled.

The headphones opened up and gave an ease to the sound beginning at about 40hrs listening on mine, and gives noticeable improvements up to about 100hrs.

After about 100 hrs., I got the Grace 901 and this put the HD650 in another league. Like many other people that comment how source and amp dependent the 650s are, I totally agree. It took a fair amount of tweaking to get an enjoyable sound. The largest improvement aside from the amp was a Monarchy DIP between the CDP and Grace 901. The DIP gave a pristine treble, low level detail, and soundstage. It's like honey.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back