HD 650 first 5 minutes
Nov 27, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stan11003

100+ Head-Fier
Just got a pair from J and R
580smile.gif
. I like that its it has a molded box, I can picture using this at home. On the head its feels like a vice, I don't think I have ever had headphones this tight. But after a minute it became bearable. Sound wize the my best source I have at work is my 5G iPod. First Song Sheryl Crow from "The Trinity Church Sessions" Lossless ofcourse. Good, really good. So far better than myATH900LTD and ER4P. And seems to be more engaging/musical than my old 580 from years back and the current Grado SR125 phones. FYI, I had to set the iPod to max volume to drive these monsters. Next U2 Very good... Then realized that I hadn't turned off the EQ(I use treble reduction with the ER4P) Much better, lots of soundstage. Can't wait to plug this into a amp at home.
Question: Does the clamping reduce any over time?

Update:
I got it home, oh boy. I've never heard instrument separation like this before. Its like a I got perfectly balanced speaker system + sub. My guess is that ATH900LTD didn't take well to the Dared Tube amp like these do.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stan11003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: Does the clamping reduce any over time?

Try 'stretching' them over a box or something slightly wider than your head overnight every night for about a week. They will be perfect.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 13
The soundstage is awesome for a headphone. They are 300ohm so yes, they sound noticibly better when plugged into an amp. I love mine!

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Never noticed the clamp. Not like the 280 pro's. Ouch! I listened to my 650's right out of the box for 15 minutes and was packing up my 600's and listed them on Agon. They need an amp and a good one with a good source. 650's are the resolution/detail champs.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never noticed the clamp. Not like the 280 pro's. Ouch! I listened to my 650's right out of the box for 15 minutes and was packing up my 600's and listed them on Agon. They need an amp and a good one with a good source. 650's are the resolution/detail champs.

Hey, what's wrong with the 280 Pro's clamping pressure? I guess I have a small head or something since I've never had a problem with my 280s clamping down on my head.

Anyway, congrats on the HD650. I hope to get a pair in the next 3 months. =)

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With any headphone, especially ones well regarded as these, you need an amp to drive them to their full potential. Using those with an iPod and no amp is like getting a car wash without the wax.... they won't really shine until you give it the full treatment.
600smile.gif

love the quote. kudos
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stan11003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a pair from J and R
580smile.gif
. I like that its it has a molded box, I can picture using this at home. On the head its feels like a vice, I don't think I have ever had headphones this tight.

Just gently bend the metal part of the head band outwards a little (on both sides, obviously), I had to adjust mine before they were totally comfortable.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Lol, my 595s have hardly any clamping force. As long as the drivers stay in place over your ears, Open cans need no clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back