HD 650, does it need any extra device?
Feb 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yusufhasimi

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've just bought a Sennheiser HD 650. Do they need an amp or DAC. Actually I don't know what does it need. I make music through  MacBook Pro and use M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I need your help so i coul complete my set on my computer. Any recommends by any chance?

Than you all

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hi all,

I've just bought a Sennheiser HD 650. Do they need an amp or DAC. Actually I don't know what does it need. I make music through  MacBook Pro and use M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I need your help so i coul complete my set on my computer. Any recommends by any chance?

Than you all

So... how did you come to the HD650, without also being exposed to information regarding an amplifier?

Yes, you need an amplifier. Here's a suggestion.

I suggest you begin by search/reading about impedance, ohms, resistance, sensitivity and how they are related.

Very best,

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
No chance to return it. But i heard it's pretty well with producing. 

it is not a neutral sounding phone at all, you might have a false sense of balance when you mix. 

anyway, don't really know how well the fast track pro can handle the 650, my suggestion is getting an extra amplifier if the sound feels lacking in body and authority. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Agreed, the 650s might give you a false sense of good EQ when mastering. 

Just a suggestion, maybe see if you can get a trade for a pair of HD-600. In my opinion they are better suited for neutrality.

The fast track might have enough juice to power these headphones, but, I'm not familiar with them enough to give a good answer. 
My opinion is try and run them through the fast track and if you are not satisfied with the sound that you are getting then look at an amp.
I'm sure the fast track has a halfway decent DAC inside already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back