HD 650 bad left channel, but only w Cardas?
Sep 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
My trusty old HD650 is acting up today. Wired with my balanced Cardas cable, the left channel cuts in and out (turn your head, wiggle the connector, it cuts out -- push in and sideways, it's back).

Wired with the Sennheiser stock cable, all is find. Wiggling the connector causes no problem (actually, the stock cable doesn't wiggle nearly as much as the Cardas, because the connector assembly is bigger).

And yes, I checked the Cardas cable by switching R and L connectors -- it's definitely the headphones, not the Cardas cable.

This is seriously frustrating, since if I ship them to Sennheiser for repair, they'll tell me there's nothing wrong with them (b/c they're fine with the stock cable).

Ever happen to anyone?

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 7
You sure no problem with stock cable? If left channel is bad even with switching the connectors, it seems something is wrong with the left inner connector of HD650.

Check again with stock cable, and I wonder if Cardas uses standard connectors for HD650....

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Then I would suspect the connectors of Cardas cable. Did you check them?

By the way, IRCC, you will need to pay the whole driver for fixing inner connector if the problem is on the headphones, since the whole driver except the grill is one thing.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Nope, nothing wrong with the Cardas cable, since the problem remains with the L earpiece on the 650, even after I switch the R and L channels on the Cardas.

The stock cable appears to have a better stress relief design -- the plastic connector housing extends much further out of the connector hole than it does on the Cardas. I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

Any idea if replacing one driver results in sonic imbalance? After all, the other one has been broken in for years...

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Ah, I see the connectors of Cardas and Stock are slightly different, and that's where the problem arise. I believe the left side hold is slightly deeper than right side, causing bad connection between the cable and the driver.

How old is your phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back