HD 650 at speakerterminal
Sep 14, 2005 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

powerear

New Head-Fier
Hi,
my Hifi-dealer told me to connect my Senn HD 650 to the speaker terminal of my accuphase 211 amp on a very little volumesetting. He further told me that the headphone-out is really bad compared to the speaker out.
Is ist worth to try? Is he right? Ok, the Senn has 600 Ohms.

Sep 14, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
Do so at your own risk. It will likely be much noisier than any other setup since it is designed to push a lot more power.

Assuming it is a fairly straightforeward solid state amp you are talking about, it shouldn't destroy anything. Your cans are sufficiently high-impedence that the amp shouldn't fry them outright, and certainly not at low volume. But, then again who knows what the hell kind of circuitry is in that power amp. It could freak out and do something wierd when connected to a high impedence output.

Personally, I would say it is PROBABLY safe to connect your headphones and then VERY slowly turn the volume up from zero. BUT I take no responsibility if that amp does something wierd. The voltage on the output should be low enough that it doesn't do any harm. Emphasis on SHOULD.

Sep 14, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 5
mmhhh... if you really want to use your speaker terminals, read these reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back