HD 650 at a bargain price? [questions]
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Aero-R

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody. 1st post in this forum, knowing the site just from a few days ago. I'm here to ask for opinions about a situation I've found with the ones that may be my first headphones.

I do live in Canary Islands, a few islands from Spain. Here the equipment isn't easy to find, so most of the time I do have to order from the mainland of Spain or even import from other countries (with the import taxes that this implies). But today, one of the shops where I usually order computer hardware have on its stock the Sennheisers HD 650 at 221€, and the AKG K-601 at 178€ (both prices with shipments & taxes included). At first I was surprised of headphones like those being sold on a computer shop focused on gaming, but then I was more surprised when doing a few searchs on the net I saw that the HD 650 were at a good price comparison with other online shops.

I'm at a situation where the Hi-Fi equipment is more a passion that a fact, since as a student I don't have now the room and money, so I can't afford the gems I would like to have (as McIntosh amplifiers for example), but I was seriusly thinking about buying the Sennheiser (since I've readed they're better than the K-601) as one of my first Hi-Fi gear. I don't wanna buy something in relation with the quality of the equipment I've at the moment because my intention is to be upgrading everything I can with the years, as soon as my weekend job allows it.

At the moment, I'm moving the audio from the computer with a very very basic setup:

X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series -> Kenwood KA-33 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

Sometimes I use Sennheiser CX-300 as earphones, and other times I do use loudspeakers. I use the I/O module of the soundcard as a DAC for TOSLINK sources (as Playstation 3 / Blu-Ray) and also as a earphones / headphones amp connected to the phone connector (http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3964/45533501uj2.jpg). The other headphones amp I do have is the Kenwood KA-33 phono connector. I've readed about the need to amp that HD650 but I don't think it'll be a problem with those two connections I've now, of course I'll buy a better set of amplification in the near years.

At the moment, I'm in a point where I can't discern clearly the differences between MP3 and FLAC, so you can imagine the quality of the audio gear of this student. Most part of my music database is on MP3 but I've started in the FLAC movement time ago, so I'm improving it. The main source of my audio will be my turntable, and the music collection in my computer (downloads are perfectly legal in Spain if they're not to make profit, so we'll skip this part).

I've reading a few threads here to get more info, and I would like to ask about few of these things too. For example, about one of the help threads sticked:

Quote:

Many will be revealing of poor quality recordings and low bit rate downloads if you’re using your computer. If, for example, you're interested in the HD650 because you’ve read it’s good, just know that you might be disappointed if you don’t amp it properly, and if you amp it properly, you might be disappointed in the sound you’re getting if your source and/or recordings don’t cut it.

That's right, of course. But in this situation for example, even not having a beautiful amplifier it'll give me better quality than my pair of CX-300 or my basic AIWA speakers, I think. So, it'll be a nice choice and will be better as soon as I upgrade the rest of the bottlenecks on my system. Am I right?

Quote:

High quality headphones reveal your source. That’s their job. Garbage in, garbage out. I love my ipod, but when I’m using it, I choose headphones that sound good, but are more forgiving of my source’s flaws when listening. If I were to use one of my more revealing headphones, I wouldn’t be enjoying the music nearly as much. Whether you consider getting a good dac, a dedicated cdp, or lod for an ipod, there are a lot of different ways to go. For portable, I like choosing forgiving headphones and not worrying about amp or source; for home, I prefer the best cdp I can afford, and one day, I'd like a good turntable.

I disagreed partially with this opinion. Of course that you won't listen anything better than the source of the worse bottleneck you have in your system, but when talking about the "forgiving" thing..: when I've upgraded my soundcards in the past, or when I bought the CX-300 or OFC plugs, I started always to listen the differences. With that equipment, the differences between worse and better recordings were more clear, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't use them because they were showing the bad part of it. I mean... of course that with Hi-Fi headphones I guess I'll start to listen at many more differences (and with those HD 650 more, since they're at a far point in quality from my system) but they won't make sound the MP3 worse, isn't it?, they will only reveal the big difference between MP3 and FLAC for example, and when comparing them of course I'll love more FLAC since I'll feel MP3 poor in comparison. But that quote talks like I'll start to listen the bad codifications worse than what I'm doing now. And at the end of the day, I do even listen to 8-bit audio files (original source, my old videogames music), so... what I care is about the best fidelity to the original signal. What I'm trying to say is that if I'm not wrong, they will improve the quality of my system isn't it?, and that's a start.

- What do you think about the price?, do you see it as a bargain so I must approach it or they aren't so cheap as I though and I might think it twice / wait? (I've took a look at many sites on internet, and it seems to be in some cases but I don't know if those prices are fresh, this gear have a few years I think)

- Apart from the K-601 I've seen at the online shop and the HD 600, can you think on other alternatives around those prices better than the HD 650? (I think that the K-701 are more expensive and I've readed the HD650s are superior..). I've heard so many good things about some from Grado but I'm a bit lost into their models, and don't know at which point Sennheiser is a good choice in sound or if Grado or AKG is better.

- Are they a good bought?. (I'm not into Headphones.. I've had only two different models of Sennheisers earphones, but months ago I tested a 20$ Sennheiser headphones in a Macintosh computer 3.5 jack and they sounded fine, so I was thinking this set would sound great on the system I've even if my soundcard/DAC is a basic one yet)

Excuse this huge post, I just wanted to explain it the best possible. Where I live I'm a bit blind with this gear since I do not have shops (so that, the oportunity) to test the gear I would like to buy. Other than that, I would like to thank everybody who reached this point in my post.Apologyzes for my english grammar. I want to thank all of the community too for this huge source of knowledge I've founded, I've been reading some usefull suggestions for a future DAC too, which I'll have to study since my collection is much PC based.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 27
Welcome to Head-Fi, and soory for your soon-to-be decimated wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

That being said, I think I can break your post down:

These are the headphones you are interested in -
  1. Sennheiser HD 600
  2. Sennheiser HD 650
  3. AKG K601
  4. AKG K701
And you are currently wondering which one is best for you, since you do not have many options to try them out, and money is scarce.

This is your current setup:

X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series -> Kenwood KA-33 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

Alright, now for the answer. I have spent time with all the headphones in question, save for the AKG 601. All of these need a decent amplifier and a great source to sound great. I am not sure about your amplifier, but I know for a fact that source is beyond subpar. You should invest in a DAC first, unless the headphones are in danger of beign sold out soon. Having a great DAC is key to a computer-as-source audio setup.

For the headphones, don't fall into the "I've heard one is better than the other" pitfall of judgment, especially when you haven't heard them for yourself in the first place. Each one serves a different purpose to varying degress of the user's preferences of how they want to hear the sound. If you search around here (there's a lovely Search button upper-right), you'll find plenty of review of all these popular headphones.

The major roadblock here that is preventing me and future repliers from helping you out is that you haven't told us what kind of music you'll be listening to. And if poosible, how do you like your music to be presented? Solid, yet lush? Airy and sweet? Plasticky with a hugely exaggerated soundstage (that was for the K701
wink.gif
)?

See, we must know those kinds of basic things to help you further, but for now all I can say is that your source (the X-Fi card) is definitely the weakest link right now.

Hope that helps, and I'll stop by later to see how things have progressed!

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 27
AKG K601 can be had for $200 on ebay. Their soundstage is bigger than the HD600/HD650 and are far more airy sounding. They have a little less bass then the HD600 though. A very clean and articulate sound indeed.

They are very nice headphones and more engaging than the Sennheisers (in my opinion). I love the HD600/HD650 though, but the K601/K701 seem to be more of what I want from a headphone.

nlaudio, The HD600 is far more balanced and more tonally accurate than the HD650's. They are far more neutral.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 27
Many thanks for the response.

Well I didnt quote those 4 ones in a list because I didn't want to avoid other possible alternatives. From that list, the only ones at that shop are the K-601 and the HD-650. My main doubt was if those prices I said were bargains so I must go for one before they were sold at this trusted shop, of if those prices were just their regular ones so I must stop the idea of bought them because those prices are not so atractive (and save for other component).

I do know I should invest in a DAC. I haven't done it before because in the case of a DAC I'll may have to do an import, and with the case of those HD-650 (for example) being sold at this national shop I found it would be great starting with those since not many units letf, in case they were a good choice. With the DAC idea I was thinking about keep the card just to feed the future DAC through its TOSLINK connector, that I'm not wrong, as it's a digital-digital thing and doesn't implies the conversion thing (which will be done by the DAC), it'll serve the DAC as any other soundcar with the exception of a few condensators/circuitery differences. Another reason of not have thought about the DAC yet is that I don't know if it'll apply lag/delay to the process of the signal/song.

And... yeah I didn't mention the kind of music I listen, you're totally right. But it's like this because I usually don't follow those questions when talking about fidelity. I mean... numbers are numbers and frequencies are frequencies, they don't understand about genres. If some speakers are greater at mid frequencies that's a data I should know, but without the relation to the audio I do listen. Sometimes I feel that by judging the genre of the music that some people listen, they suggest one of other headphones and I didn't want that because honestly, I do listen to a lot of different genres in the same proportion. Anyway, for the help you give you deserve this personal answer:

- Film soundtracks (from Wong Kar Wai films, Jean Pierre Jeunet ones..., with opera scores and pseudo electric Giorgio Moroder or Vangelis sounds)
- 8bit and 16bit videogame sounds (from the 80s and 90s videogames .USF and other kind of file formats)
- Dub Tech / Minimal (electronic music from a fiend's label)
- Glitch / Experimental (as examples... Fennesz, Oval or the lastest Ryuichi Sakamoto digital collaborations)
- Disco music (some Barry White songs too)
- Piano scores
- Post Rock (for example... Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Rós)
- 90s NY House music

Unfortunately many of the records I do have digitalized, are on MP3 and can't be had on a better quality since they are rare and unique. I wish I could buy some of them, but you know, some of them are almost impossible to find and if you find a MP3 copy that's the best you can ask for. The rest, of course, in FLAC or other lossless format.

I honestly don't know how I want my music to be presented, since I haven't had the oportunity to check those differences. I want the bets fidelity to the signal. I never equalize the sound in fact.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 27
I prefer the 650 over the 600, but that is because I also use it to produce electronica music on them.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nlaudio, The HD600 is far more balanced and more tonally accurate than the HD650's. They are far more neutral.

FAR more balanced? FAR more neutral? Wouldn't be a touch of hyperbole creeping in here, would there?

I've lived with both and prefer the 650---on classical/orchestral. That's the thing--you have to define your musical tastes. But whatever your tastes, neither phone is FAR more anything than the other.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevoultion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the K701 over the HD600. The HD600 sound a bit muffled in comparison to the K701. But there both good headphones for all round use.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

The K701 sounds light and airy through pretty much every setup known to man. But with the HD 600, unless you feed it proper amplification with a decent source, it will sound muffled and extremely underwhelming. I know from experience; using an iPod as a source made everything sound like mush, but when I hooked it up to my DAC, it gave the darn thing such a breath of life, beauty, and definition! Again, I know from past Head-Fi meets that this definitely was not the best sound coming from the HD 600 through this humble setup, but it sure beat the pants off of what I was listening to before.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 27
i think The Senns needs an Amp especially HD650 or HD600,but not alway a beautiful(expensive) AMP,without an AMP the soundstage si narrow,and the bass is out of contral.suggest you can buget a Lehmenn.it isn't de best for senns,but i centain it can drive de senns well.
i'm sorry about my english ,event talk a few work in english,i need the translate softwera.......however

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff3610859 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH no,in chinse K601 at ¥1000,about 102€,K701 at 185€,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff3610859 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the price are for "smuggled goods"

Then why would you even consider supporting the black market?

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 27
i've bought K 601 & K 701 just for music.
I think lots of guys have already supported enough “ smuggled goods ” to black market .
by de way,AKG sells especially cheaper in china black market pofit from other black market
and i don't know de "rule of game"in de international black market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back