HD-650 and Perreaux Just Arrived!
Feb 27, 2004 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NewMexiCat

100+ Head-Fier
Can't wait to start the burn-in tonight!

As a headphone newb, this forum has gotten me way over-agressively upgrading! It all started out innocently enough. I was just going to grab some SR-60's and, as a casual headphone listener, enjoy them for the great value they are and that would be it. Nice small investment, better sound, nothing else needed.

Then I discovered this place, started researching . . . and you know where this is leading.

I decided to go with the SR-225's instead. Not alot more money. May as well step up a few notches if I really want good sound.

Well, I like my SR-225's . . . alot. But the problem is, I kept researching this forum. Why? I don't know. I guess the thought is, "this sounds good, but can it sound BETTER?!" Got the flat pads--sounds much better. So I kept reading and researching and questioning and determined . . . I gotta hear the HD-650's and I gotta hear 'em amped!

Now I will compare and contrast and A/B cans and IC's and outputs and will generally annoy the hell out of my wife. Will I keep both cans? I doubt I can justify it. So the grado v. senn battle will begin and the upgrade road will probably continue to be long and winding, and littered with discarded cords and interconnects and power supplies and source components.

And I wouldn't want it any other way!

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 15
Congrats on your purchase, I'm so sure you will enjoy them and find a way to justify your purchase to your wife. i.e., pleadge to eat cup-of-noodle/ramen and peanut butter sandwich for lunch for next 3 months or so (that's nearly 100-250 saving a month) I rather give up Starbucks coffee and drink Folgers, than to sell my cans (Senn. HD-650/600 and Sony CD3000/V6). I wish I can quit, but I just can't... Yeah, this site has costed me serious $$$. Although I've only recently joined, I've been visiting this site for a while. As someone once said.... Ignorance is blessing!

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 15
Congrats man...I'm in about the same boat as you.

Just innocently wanted some cans...then I decided I wanted good cans...stumbled upon this site, and ordered some good cans. Before they have even shipped I decided I wanna amp them & get some quality interconnects...it's crazy, but it's very cool...enjoy your setup!

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 15
Sweet!, that should be a great cobo. I'm almost in the same boat as you
frown.gif
, the tubes for my new amp got here today, but the amp isn't showing up till tomorrow! (Oh and BTW, you should be able to justify keeping those two headphones, they are a real nice contrast to each other!).

Feb 28, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Then I discovered this place, started researching . . . and you know where this is leading.

LOL. That's what happened to me too. Kind of became excited listening to all the comments here and, voila, I have the 650/Perreaux combo. No looking back now. No regrets. I love my amp and phones and only wonder why it took me so long to get reconnected with this arena of home entertainment.

Crossing my fingers that you end up loving the combo as much as I do.

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks everyone!

Just getting the kids put to bed and will probably be up late auditioning my new combo. I'll post my comments soon!

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 15
Congrats on the nice new gear! I'd think there was something wrong with ya if you didn't stay up late to listen
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: Where in New Mexico do you live? I spent the last 4 years in Las Cruces and have to admit I miss it somewhat.

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Cool..... congrats on your purchase!

It seems to be a familiar road. I started off by buying a pair of SR60's... and then I decided to go to the Milwaukee meet a few months ago, to hear what the whole fuss was about, in regard to the more expensive headphones, amps, etc.... and, well, I got hooked. I'm ending up with a hole in my pants pocket where my wallet used to be... but it's some fun way to lose your money!
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have the 650's and the Perreaux.. and lemme say, you'll love it. But then you'll probably be like me and want some brighter treble... so you'll think about getting either the Silver Dragon or the Zu Mobius... which I haven't done yet but will... AAHH!!!
600smile.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 15
OMG!!!!!!!!

Okay, I am not regretting this purchase one bit. So I could fully appreciate this setup, I started out listening to my SR-225's through the old receiver as I had done up til now. As I said before, no complaints on the sound of the 225's. Then I connected the Perreaux to my source (DVD-2200) and hooked up the 225's for a listen. Big difference in loudness, but I'm not sure that it was for the better. The 225's have such a "forward" sound as it is, amping it seemed to almost push it over the edge. Seemed to muddy it up.

Then I reached for the HD-650's. I went ahead and listened to them through the B&K receiver, knowing up front that the B&K would struggle to drive the high-impedence Senn's. No surprise. I had to crank the volume only to get a thin, distant sound. Almost a polar opposite of the 225's.

Then I went to the Perreaux. It was there I found nirvana!
600smile.gif
(No, I wasn't listening to Nirvana . . . The Thorns, actually). Where the Perreaux seemed to take the 225's to an overbearing forwardness, it pushed the 650's to a balanced fullness without sacrificing detail. As this is my first foray into the world of head amps, I was frankly stunned! I never imagined you could get such a dynamic full-range sound from a headphone.

I don't know whether I'm more impressed with the 650's or the Perreaux, but I know that I'm not going to part with either for a long time!

P.S. Elec: I'm in Farmington--the opposite end of the State, and a pretty nice place to live.

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 15
Congrats on your new gear!! I'm also in a similar position. Rather than crosspost, do you have any comments on this thread ?

Problems, problems...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by NewMexiCat
Then I connected the Perreaux to my source (DVD-2200)

NewMexiCat, I see you have a Denon DVD-2200! I also have one but can't hook up my Perreaux and HD650 to it until the end of April (on a business trip). How does it sound? What do you think? Which output did you use, I think there are two line level outs? Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Finalrinse, being a newb to all this, I really can't compare the DVD-2200 to anything else.

However, I was very impressed with my sound, even on redbook CDs. I was a little handicapped when configuring my system last night because my display (Samsung HLN617W) is in for service and I couldn't see the menus on the DVD-2200 to set SACD and DVD-A optimally for headphone listening. As a result, I think I was losing bass as the redbook playback sounded fuller than the high-res stuff. OTOH, maybe I was using the wrong output?! I used the FL2 and FR2 that the manual tells you to use for multi-channel. I asked the question as to output capabilities for the two front outputs on the source forum, but haven't gotten a response. Luckily, my display is back today and I'll play around with it tonight. Bottom line, I think I'll be happy with the 2200. I know there are better "audiophile" choices out there and I really didn't buy the 2200 with headphone listening in mind. I do think, however, it is a decent "bang for the buck" universal player. Let me know how yours sounds when you get the chance to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back