HD-650 and 1/4'' -> 1/8'' Adaptor Sound Quality
May 19, 2006 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

refault

100+ Head-Fier
Since I'm using the Emmeline SR-71 to amp my Sennheiser HD-650, I must use a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adaptor to plug the HD-650 into the SR-71.

I notice, for an awkward reason, when using a Grado 1/4'' to 1/8'' adaptor, it not only increases soundstage, but also gives a more detailed, deep, and less "cluttered" sound (compared to the 1/4'' to 1/8'' stock adapter that came with the HD-650.)

I was wondering what, if any, was the reasoning behind this, and if I keep the current setup should I purchase a more high-end 1/4''->1/8'' adapter? This is because I also plan to purchase an Equinox cable for my HD-650 and wouldn't want the 1/4''->1/8'' adaptor to hold back any of the sound quality.

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 12
I think Moon Audio does a Black Dragon 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, I'd imagine it'd be pretty good. I had a SA3000 recabled by them and while it still wasn't right for me (It was the headphones, not the cables) the cable did a lot in terms of sound quality, tighter more prominent bass, less harsh highs, mids were a bit too forward though. Not to mention it looks pretty bitchin'.

May 19, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 12
Hmm, yeah.

Although my current setup is the Modded EMU 0404 (ASIO out, Foobar2k) -> Zu Pivot -> Emmeline SR-71 -> (currently) Grado Adapter 1/4 to 1/8 -> Sennheiser HD-650.

I wonder if any of that makes a difference,and if upgrading to the Moon Audio cable above will help any.

Alright, thanks!

May 19, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 12
I used to have both the HD650 one and the Grado one, but I don't recall there being a major difference between the two. Maybe I just wasn't listening closely enough.

BTW, you have a very good rig!

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 12
need some info on this as well

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice, for an awkward reason, when using a Grado 1/4'' to 1/8'' adaptor, it not only increases soundstage, but also gives a more detailed, deep, and less "cluttered" sound (compared to the 1/4'' to 1/8'' stock adapter that came with the HD-650.)

do both adapters look like this?

GRMINI14_000.jpg

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I'm using the Emmeline SR-71 to amp my Sennheiser HD-650, I must use a 1/4'' to 1/8'' adaptor to plug the HD-650 into the SR-71.

I was wondering what, if any, was the reasoning behind this, and if I keep the current setup should I purchase a more high-end 1/4''->1/8'' adapter? This is because I also plan to purchase an Equinox cable for my HD-650 and wouldn't want the 1/4''->1/8'' adaptor to hold back any of the sound quality.

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe that by adding the adapter there is slightly increased impedence in the cable changing what you're hearing? I'm sure a more experienced member will chime in shortly.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, I must say that a cable or adapter can indeed change the sound, but it definitely cannot improve it in this case. Mrsneis is correct in that any add-on or cable extender, no matter how small adds trivial amounts of resistance to the equation which in turn alters sound quality. This alteration is usually for the worse. Think about it, who would knowingly run a 20 foot long speaker cable when only a 10 foot long one is required?

But I digress. The Sennheiser and Grado products I've heard do a fantastic job in keeping additional impedances low; which is their goal in the first place; but in reality no manufacturer can completely eliminate this extra impedance. Think of audio frequency amplifiers--to date, no design promises 0.0 % distortion figures. Just not in the materials yet. Hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back