HD 600: Should I upgrade amp/dac or add a different set of headphones?
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheEldestBoy

100+ Head-Fier
My current set-up is as follows:
  • iPhone/Macbook -> Fiio Q1 -> HD600
I have a budget of approx $400 - $700 CDN, and am considering one of the following two options:

1. Upgrade my Fiio Q1 to a Fiio Q5 (soon to be released), a Chord Mojo, or an ifi Black Label.
  2. Keep the Fiio Q1, and instead purchase an additional set of headphones (I'm strongly considering the Monolith M1060).
I love the HD600's; they suit my preferences very well (neutral, very non-fatiguing). I'm wondering if upgrading the amp/dac will bring noticeable improvements in the SQ (btw - I listen at relatively low volumes)? Or if I'll get more enjoyment by adding a new (different) set of cans to my set-up?

I don't listen to these headphones outside of my home, but I do need to be portable within my home (be able to move from room-to-room while listening). This is why I'm sticking with portable dac/amps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Boy, there's a lot of psychology in play within your question. What I can offer is that the Mojo does pair nicely with the HD650 in my stable. I've little reason to believe your HD600's would be any different.

However, if this is more of a case of upgrade-itis, then the only cure would be the Monolith upon which your heart is set.

Good luck!

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 6
My current set-up is as follows:
  • iPhone/Macbook -> Fiio Q1 -> HD600
I have a budget of approx $400 - $700 CDN, and am considering one of the following two options:

1. Upgrade my Fiio Q1 to a Fiio Q5 (soon to be released), a Chord Mojo, or an ifi Black Label.
  2. Keep the Fiio Q1, and instead purchase an additional set of headphones (I'm strongly considering the Monolith M1060).
I love the HD600's; they suit my preferences very well (neutral, very non-fatiguing). I'm wondering if upgrading the amp/dac will bring noticeable improvements in the SQ (btw - I listen at relatively low volumes)? Or if I'll get more enjoyment by adding a new (different) set of cans to my set-up?

I don't listen to these headphones outside of my home, but I do need to be portable within my home (be able to move from room-to-room while listening). This is why I'm sticking with portable dac/amps.

If you listen at very low volumes the Q1 likely isn't distorting (much less clipping), so switching to another amp or DAC-HPamp will barely make a difference (if any at all). Maybe a bit less noise and some improvement in imaging precision. Chances are you might not notice these if they're even there.

Might as well just get a Grado RS2e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back