hd 600 rules!
Jan 27, 2007 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
One of the double bass players in my orchestra,and great photographer as well(RSO on tour,http://photography-on-the.net/galler...13&ee_lang=eng) made me the great favor of letting me keep his hd 600 and 650 for a day at my place to compare them with my 595s.My source is a modest x-fi(which,by the way,is more than enough to drive any of them),but good for the comparison.The same orchestra's tuba player and good friend of mine was helping me with the "test",and we both agreed after not too long that hd 600s were way better in my system.Very detailed,super-crystalline(veil,what veil????),and with wonderful dynamics.The bass is just right,i find the 650s too bassy and lacking in transparency,and the 595s just about the same.Trying those with a ldm+ didn't help a bit,on the contrary! I know these statements are not mainstream here,but that's what we heard!
For me,this test made me realize that no matter what you read from people in this forum,you only discover your "truth" when you listen yourself,so please forget about this post...
tongue.gif

For my ears,the 600s are like er4s plus the bass,and that's a killer combination that makes me say:bye bye 595s!
The funny thing is that the 600s sounded exactly like the antithesis of what i was expecting after reading countless head fi threads! Now,I'd like to try the 580s.It could happen that i like them even better...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 25
Congrats on listening - and thinking! - for yourself!!

I find the 580's, so far, preferable to the 650's, the latter of which I, too, find too bassy, a bass which obscures that which is above.

"Newer-ness" and expense does not always rule..............

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 25
The HD600's are a perfect example of newer not being necessarily better, i.e.; the 650's simply don't sound as good! Being a professional musician, one who has fronted orchestras, big bands, rock groups, and jazz quartets for many, many years; in equally many "rooms"; I know what the "sound" should be, whether coming from speakers or headphones. I have yet to sit down with the 600's and not be awed by what I hear. Good on yer! good choice!

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 25
You can also go for the budget without compromise HD580 with HD600 grills and HD650 cable wich is what i got and absolutly love! And the HD580 are still 129 or something via amazon.com hell of a deal!

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by coilmover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600's are a perfect example of newer not being necessarily better, i.e.; the 650's simply don't sound as good! Being a professional musician, one who has fronted orchestras, big bands, rock groups, and jazz quartets for many, many years; in equally many "rooms"; I know what the "sound" should be, whether coming from speakers or headphones. I have yet to sit down with the 600's and not be awed by what I hear. Good on yer! good choice!

I think many have said here that the HD650 scale much better with higher-end equipment. I don't doubt them, but not a lot of people can really afford some of the crazy rigs posted on here so I think the HD600 is a good compromise in that respect

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 25
I went through this some months ago. I wanted to "move up" from my 580s and read as much as possible about the difference between the 600s and 650s. I then bought the 600s and have been happy with them. I almost sold the 580s recently, but decided to keep them and have ordered woodie cups for them from headphile.

Before deciding to set aside the 600s, try them will an aftermarket cable like Zu, Cardas, Equinox or others. I spent more on my Cardas cable then on my 600s, which I bought new on Audiogon.

And for what it may be worth, I was a professional horn player in the States for 20 years, playing in several orchestras in addition to some commercial work. Thought I'd add that since this thread was started by a musician.

Happy listening.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say NO!!!

No Really! Say Yeah!!

And nope; not abandoning my MS-1s or MS2i, not even for a minute; just complementing them!!

I've got this very strong feeling that where the MS2i falls short for the biggest of the classical pieces where the MS2i soundstage and bass extension is just a tad lacking, that the HD600 will give me that extra little bit of bass extension for the longer pipes in pipe organ music, and push me back a little bit away from the conductors podium for the larger of the classical numbers. Best of both worlds I'm Bettin'!!

So yup, MS1/2 where they work best, and HD600 for the really big stuff!!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

.....really getting anxious now! I was hoping to get them a few days earlier, but I'll be sending away for them Monday morning! Yea! Can't wait!! Just too cool!
cool.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think many have said here that the HD650 scale much better with higher-end equipment. I don't doubt them, but not a lot of people can really afford some of the crazy rigs posted on here so I think the HD600 is a good compromise in that respect

As a Sennheiser fanboy, I'm gonna have to agree. I'm now at a point where I've got a system that's gelling well with the HD650. Since it doesn't have any of the spikes in the mid ranges that the HD580/600 has, the 650 needs some good amping to not sound "veiled". Before my current investment of audio equipment (redbook playback: $3.5k...another $1k now on a TT that's on its way) the HD595 was my favorite general can. The HD580 was my first general can and especially always seems well suited at solo instruments. Because of the 595 and 580/600's emphasis in mids, they're easier to find synergy with. Being a head-fier now....I can say it's worth it to plunk down that money on the HD650 dangit
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
When it's properly amped with good source, it's the most speakerlike headphone I've listened to (way more resolution then the k1000). It's speed and large soundstage make it more engaging then the Grados I've heard. For those that don't have their sights that high, a properly sourced HD580/600 or HD595 is good and is a better value.

F107plus5, I hope you get those HD600s soon.....it's been rather tiring all your recommendations of the MS1 and MS2
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
I know, rather tiring my recommendations of the HD595 and HD580
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 25
Having never heard the 650, I cant' really commemt on them but I do have the 600s and I think their really great phones.They do just about everything right and so little wrong.Plus they match up so well with my ASL tube amp.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having never heard the 650, I cant' really commemt on them but I do have the 600s and I think their really great phones.They do just about everything right and so little wrong.Plus they match up so well with my ASL tube amp.

How would you describe the Beyers compared to the 600s?

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah! I like that!!

Using a little "Grado-speak" and meaning absolutely no disrespect; one maybe could say that the HD600 are the MS2i of the "dark side"!!?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back