HD 600 Possible Mod(s)
Jul 13, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tilt

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious if there are any modifications to bring out the highs' on the HD 600 ...they sound a little veiled, almost like it has the potential, but its just too lazy to use it....Common Senny, pull up your socks!

the mids and lows are amazing, it just needs that crispness too it.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Two come to mind,

first search for the 'Nude' mod where the foam under the earpads is remove (between the driver and your ear) and replaced by a more audio-transparent material such as silk or nylon hose.

next one is cable replacement, either to the HD650 stock cable (available from Senn for about $15 shipped) or aftermarket for a 'bit' more money.

You should find several threads on each with a Forum search.

Jul 13, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 6
how does silver sound with them?

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 6
thanx, just did the nylon mod.

First thing i noticed was the ability to hear ambient noises with more detail...not sure if thats a good or bad thing
rolleyes.gif

As for music sound, its pretty similar...further testing is needed...like one ear done and the other stock...

I might have a stock 650 cable coming if all goes as planned *fingers crossed*

It would be nice to hear opinions on how silver or silver plated copper performs against stock cables...how does it change the sound?

Thanx for the replys

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 6
For the copper vs silver debate, it's almost as timeless as 600 vs 650 itself.

Search for Oehlbach, Moon Audio (Silver & Blue) Dragon, Cardas and Zu Mobius, for a variety of threads and reviews / shootouts. You might also search the cables forum.

Doubt you will have any trouble finding a plethora of written material about HD600 replacement cables.

May 13, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 6
I have vanilla HD 600s, and have been using them for about 6 months. When I mix with them, whether they're plugged into my pc, interfaces, or sound board, I find myself constantly making false tweaks because of their warmth. They sound as though someone took an extra 2dB of 600-800 and rebroadcast it after sending it through a blender. For lower and higher they're pretty good, although I can't get high frequencies (at and over 3KHz) to sound quite real on them either. Is this the sort of thing a different cable will alleviate? Or should I pick an amp which specifically counters this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back