HD 600, or a first tube amp?
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BLCT

New Head-Fier
I found an ad posting for a HD 600 on Kijiji, the guy claims that it is in mint condition and he only worn them a few times. As I question why hes trying to get rid of them, he says "I'm just looking to sell them". He's selling them for $350 CAD (about $267 USD), but I talked him down to $325 ($232). Is this a good deal? And if so, How do I go about verifying that it isn't a counterfeit. I asked him if he has the original receipt he said no. He does however have the original box and wires.

In the other hand, I was thinking of getting my first tube Amp for about the same price. I haven't decided on what amp yet, but something around that price range. My setup consists of a HD 650 plugged into an Schiit Audio Mangi 3, and Modi 2.

Now there's rumors floating around about the HD 600 family are getting replaced with a newer headphone/newer line. I've never owned a HD 600, but listening sessions with my friend make it not as bassy as my HD 650. However the clarity is much more present, especially on the trebles and vocals. I've only had about an hour to sit down with them. As my friend (who owns a pair) lives in Calgary, and I live in Toronto. So my experience with them aren't the best case scenario. Now, do you guys think that the HD 600 and HD 650 are too similar sounding, that dropping $300 ($220 USD) on them would be pointless? Or should I pass on the offer and just buy a new tube amp.

Also I'm open for recommendations for tube amps! :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 9
I think I would pass on the HD600 and look into other headphones.
Try and find a good deal on a used Beyerdynamic T90.
Or one of those modified Fostex T50RP headphones.
Or other Planer based headphone.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 9
I think I would pass on the HD600 and look into other headphones.
Try and find a good deal on a used Beyerdynamic T90.
Or one of those modified Fostex T50RP headphones.
Or other Planer based headphone.

There's a drop on massdrop for a imited-edition black Beyerdynamic DT990 (both 600 ohm and 250) for $164.99 USD. You think they're better value over the HD 600? I did manage to talk the guy down to $250 CAD ($184 USD) just now.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 9
There's a drop on massdrop for a Limited-edition black Beyerdynamic DT990 (both 600 Ohm and 250) for $164.99 USD. You think they're better value over the HD 600? I did manage to talk the guy down to $250 CAD ($184 USD) just now.
I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and DT990 Premium 600-Ohm and never use them.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Thoughts on both? I'm thinking of ordering the 600 ohm ones. As the 250 ohm ones are sold out.
The are better choices then the DT990 (250 or 600)
My 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 ($125) and Massdrop HD58X ($150) sound better to me, then the DT990.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 9
I found an ad posting for a HD 600 on Kijiji, the guy claims that it is in mint condition and he only worn them a few times. As I question why hes trying to get rid of them, he says "I'm just looking to sell them". He's selling them for $350 CAD (about $267 USD), but I talked him down to $325 ($232). Is this a good deal? And if so, How do I go about verifying that it isn't a counterfeit. I asked him if he has the original receipt he said no. He does however have the original box and wires.

Depends...there's the 150ohm Massdrop X Sennheiser HD58X for $150. Measurements look like the HD600 for the most part but some qualitative listening/subjective feedback says there's a difference and closer to the HD650. Note a few things about those though: not sure if they swapped out the earpads, maybe their amps have different distortion patterns on 150ohm load since it's lower or they're cranking them up too high and getting into the distortion zone anyway when the amp can't drive 300ohms in terms of power output for how loud they're listening, etc).

My setup consists of a HD 650 plugged into an Schiit Audio Mangi 3, and Modi 2.

Here's another "depends" - do you like the HD650's sound? If you do then why get another headphone? If you can easily spend the money, then go ahead - it's like being happily married (as far as everyone thinks in some cases), you try to go see what else is out there, then you go give them hush money (which mostly can really just be a problem if you're running for office) - which is not like being middle class or lower and then have that "what else is out there" turn out clingy and best case scenario is "lose half the marital assets that doesn't even leave you enough money to buy a new brownstone let alone a new place in Park Avenue" while the worst case scenario is "Wife Finds Pets Inside Pressure cooker by Chef Glenn Close."

Well OK it's not like your HD650 will have a mental breakdown and walk away but the idea is whether you dislike it enough to even blow money on something else rather than just sit back and listen through it.

On a somewhat related note, I have the HD600, and it's been EQ-d to mimic the HD650 (plus denser, thicker pads) since I was able to use EQ on Neutron Music Player and a global EQ when using Spotify.

In the other hand, I was thinking of getting my first tube Amp for about the same price.

Kind of the same thing here...what's wrong with the sound that you want to replace the Magni?

Now there's rumors floating around about the HD 600 family are getting replaced with a newer headphone/newer line. I've never owned a HD 600, but listening sessions with my friend make it not as bassy as my HD 650. However the clarity is much more present, especially on the trebles and vocals. I've only had about an hour to sit down with them. As my friend (who owns a pair) lives in Calgary, and I live in Toronto. So my experience with them aren't the best case scenario. Now, do you guys think that the HD 600 and HD 650 are too similar sounding, that dropping $300 ($220 USD) on them would be pointless? Or should I pass on the offer and just buy a new tube amp.

You might want to just remove the foam screen covering the driver. That gets you more of everything above 1000hz without giving you the 3500hz spike of the HD600...unless you specifically want that spike (this is why I EQ my HD600 though, and never used them without the screen, apart from keeping the drivers safe from dust and larger debris like hair).

I haven't decided on what amp yet, but something around that price range.
---

OTL tube amps are going to take you farther from getting what you stated you liked about the HD600 and transformer coupled tube amps are more expensive, still sound a little bit warmer than amps like the O2 and Magni1/2/Uber and for a price that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above your budget for a decent one you might as well stick with solid state.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 9

In the other hand, I was thinking of getting my first tube Amp for about the same price. I haven't decided on what amp yet, but something around that price range. My setup consists of a HD 650 plugged into an Schiit Audio Mangi 3, and Modi 2.

The thing is what are you looking for. The 600 and 650’s tonality is very similar but have a different frequency response as you have mentioned. The 650 has more bass and nice mids but the highs are rolled off and the 600’s are very neutral as they don’t boost any frequency more than the others. I myself like the 650’s more but that is my preference and do like them from a tube amp. I don’t like the 650’s from a lot of amps but from a Bottlehead Crack they are just stellar. I also like them from a Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and balanced with silver plated cables from my little Hiby R3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back