HD-600 and X-Can V3
Dec 12, 2003 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Peterg2

Head-Fier
I appreciate that many of you will perceive the X-Can V3 as relatively low end but I have been bitten by the disease and starting with the HD-590 I have gone, in three weeks, to the HD-600, two receiver changes, the Rega Ear and now I am thinking of the X-Can V3.

First of all, I am using the pre-amp outputs of my receiver (digital connections from my cable box and my DVD/CD player). I did find that the Rega Ear was overall no improvement and actually was inferior to the two Denon receiver jacks that I have tried (Denon 1802 and 2803).

I am now thinking of getting the X-Can V3 using the pre-outs of the Denon 2803 and want some feedback before I purchase it. The Denon 2803 has a pretty good headphone jack (not a simple op-amp).

I have done searches on the X-Can V2 and V3 on this site but would like some specific feedback as so much of this is based on the idea that receiver headphone jacks "suck" etc. But it is clear to me that certain receivers have headphone jacks which are superior to low end headphone amps.

Peter

Dec 12, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi mate,

Although on the grand scale of things, the X-can v3 will be perceived as low end, it certainly is NOT crap. I used and was happy with a Rotel integrated amplifiers headphone output and found that better than say a Corda HA-1, which is pretty highly regarded.

The X-can v3 however, is far superior to the output on the Rotel, and also the Corda to my ears. I think for the price it costs, it sounds very nice. I am not saying its the best amp available for its price, but it certainly sounds very nice to my ears (see system below).

Not only that, but its quite easily tweakable, and can probably be brought to a very high standard, relatively cheaply.

I feel that even in stock form, it makes my music enjoyable and vibrant to listen to, not the most neutral amp around for sure, but if one values getting across a musical message more than simply amplifying a line level signal, then the fluid and punchy little v3 will certainly please IMO.

Dec 13, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 3
Paul,

Thanks very much for the reply. I purchased the X-Can V3 and am just letting it run now with some music being piped to it. I will probably leave it for at least 24 hours and then I will give it a listen. I am very much impressed with the construction and heft of it.

But I am extremely disturbed by this site. I have not really been into hi-fi at all since the 70s but in the last few years I have been a member of avsforum and hometheaterforum. However, none of those sites have engendered in me the spending frenzy that I have gone through here in the last few weeks. Yes, I bought my HD-ready TV, my Iscan Pro line doubler etc a couple of years ago but those were all measured purchases after months of deliberation.

This site has been something very different with upgrades left right and center in the space of weeks, some of them really irrational from a cold cost-benefit analysis point of view.

smily_headphones1.gif

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back