HD 600 and DT880 a bit too tight for my head, HD 800 possibly a better fit?
Sep 29, 2017 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
So I've used a pair of hd 600 for the last few years. They were tight, but tolerable. However a few months back they were stolen. I decided to maybe try out the DT880 instead. But I found these to be way too tight even when I spread them with some books.

Figure I try the HD800 next since their famous for their comfort. My one worry is that I only have the original magni/modi to power them.

Thoughts?

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Use your hands and physically spread them holding the headband. If you're not strong enough get someone stronger in the hands. They will loosen up and be more comfy. I would imagine the model you have is the pro headband version. Good Luck :D

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Use your hands and physically spread them holding the headband. If you're not strong enough get someone stronger in the hands. They will loosen up and be more comfy. I would imagine the model you have is the pro headband version. Good Luck :D

Yeah I used books to stretch the hd 600 and the dt880. The book stretch helped the hd 600 a good bit, but the dt880 were still intolerable.

Do you think I can use some books to stretch the hd 800 as well? Don't want to break them...

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I have not been blessed by the GODs to have an hd800 in my hand. In saying that, congrats on making it near or arriving at end game status.

Hopefully someone can help you on this one. :D

Do you still have the 880? I had same issue with pro clamp on a 770 for a few weeks till it expanded, then the pads broke in, and super comfy. Maybe hd800 is more comfy. Godspeed soldier :D

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 6
I have not been blessed by the GODs to have an hd800 in my hand. In saying that, congrats on making it near or arriving at end game status.

Hopefully someone can help you on this one. :D

Do you still have the 880? I had same issue with pro clamp on a 770 for a few weeks till it expanded, then the pads broke in, and super comfy. Maybe hd800 is more comfy. Godspeed soldier :D

Yeah I was going to hold off for a few months, but I figure I just make the plunge now.

I returned the 880s. I tried making them less tight with books, but they were just too painful.

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Rather than purchasing a HD800 you could get another HD600. In order to loosen them all you need to do is detach the earcup from the headband by prising out the plastic tab. Having detached the earcup you then take the metal arc and bend it to make it less of an arc (straighten it out more). Doing this a few times will loosen the headphones. Never bend the headband or it will snap. I found my HD650s very tight when new but after bending the metal arc a few times they loosened up considerably. Unlike the OP I didn't find the DT880's tight at all. As for the HD800 I have read lots about it but never owned or heard one. I imagine it's sound signature will be very different from the HD600 and with its angled drivers its soundstage will be larger with none of the intimacy of the HD600 and less colouration. The HD800 is also supposed to be particular about its amplifier as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back