HD 600/650 or HE-400S/i or T90
Dec 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kdava

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I've posted this to another forum, but would love to get some feedback here at Head-Fi too.

Budget - 300-450 USD

Source - see below

Requirements for Isolation - None

Will you be using these Headphones in Public? - No

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized, open

Preferred tonal balance - Balanced, slightly more bass, silky smooth mid

Past headphones - Beyerdynamic T51, Takstar Pro80

Preferred Music - Mostly electronic and classical, but also all kinds of vocal music with physical instruments

Location - Hungary

I use my Beyer T51 for commute and at work, I absolutely love that bass-heavy, fun sound and clear mids. The highs, not so much but it's ok for on-the-go and occasional listening at work.

I decided to upgrade my home setup, Takstar Pro80 + Fiio E10K to something more premium. I am looking for open-back, over-ear headphones. I have narrowed it down (see below), and seeking help to decide. I have money for all combinations, and these are at about the top end of my budget, so please do not recommend anything more expensive.

I am looking for nice, controlled bass that doesn't bleed into mids (I know the T51 is not like this) for deep house, like Sasha, John Digweed, etc; smooth, clear mids for silky, enjoyable vocals for music like Birdy; for highs, I'm looking for crisp, but not harsh.

Generally, I would like something slightly on the fun, laidback side, with rich sounds that still reveal as much deatils as possible without being tiring and too clinical. Do not want basshead / muddy either. I would like to have long listening sessions without tiring my ears and without the phones getting uncomfortable. Detachable cable is a plus.

Since I live in Hungary, I'll probably order from Amazon UK, so prices will be in pounds, hope that's okay.

Headphones options:

Sennheiser HD 600 - 313 GBP

Sennheiser HD 650 - 268 GBP now on sale

Hifiman HE-400i - 359 GBP (maybe with focuspads?)

Hifiman He-400S - 239 GBP (maybe with focuspads?)

Beyerdynamic T90 - 296 GBP

Amp/DAC options:

Keep the Fiio E10K and smartphone as source - 0 GBP (I think it's definitely enough for the HE-400S, not sure about the others)

Audioquest Dragonfly Red - 169 GBP

(maybe Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber, but I think the Dragonfly would be enough for above headphones and I do not want to spend that much if not necessary)

Please let me know what combination of above you suggest and why.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 5
The HD650 fit the bill best for what you want in my opinion. They will work fine with the Dragonfly Red as well.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the reply. The 650's were recommended in the other forum too, so I might have a winner. Do you think it is necessary to get the Dragonfly over the E10K to drive it to full potential? (full potential as in, this price range - I'm sure further improvement can be reached with higher-end equipment)

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Well I wouldn't say its necessary. The Fiio E10K has enough power to drive them however if you can afford the Dragonfly Red I would recommend that instead. Also please keep in mind the HD650 terminates in a 1/4 inch so you will need to either recable or buy an adapter since the Dragonfly Red and Fiio E10K only has a 3.5mm output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back