Hd 598's with or without amp?
May 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Anywhere i could buy that stack at a good price in the uk? I found one site selling it the amp , but its £120 (€140) and in the us its only $99 (€76) in the usa

That's a common problem in Europe. Schiit gear tends to be overpriced in comparison to the US. :\

May 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

That's a common problem in Europe. Schiit gear tends to be overpriced in comparison to the US. :\

That particular combo would not work here in ireland i believe anyway because it doesnt support the power supply here!! Is the Aune T1 upgraded version a good dac/amp? Or is a tube amp not suitable?

Ive also looked at a Nuforce Icon amp for around the same price and then theres the e10 but thats the cheapest option!!

May 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #33 of 70
An E17 would probably be worth it if you end up listening to music from a source other than YouTube. I'll also second the suggestion of a service like MOG or Spotify. MOG is cheap at only $5 a month and streams at 320kbps. I love my E17, and I also like MOG quite a bit.

May 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:
An E17 would probably be worth it if you end up listening to music from a source other than YouTube. I'll also second the suggestion of a service like MOG or Spotify. MOG is cheap at only $5 a month and streams at 320kbps. I love my E17, and I also like MOG quite a bit.

The e17 is portable though and its been suggested that a desktop amp/dac would be better for the same price!! I like what i am hearing about tube amps and am considering the Aune T1 but ive no idea if a tube amp is complicated to use or wether i can just plug it in and off i go ha 

I tried downloading spotify earlier and for some reason it would not install, Most of my itunes library is in 320kbps (230-320+ to be more precise) and iam happy enough with how they are sounding 

May 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #35 of 70
I own an Aune T1 and while it's a really good tube dac/amp, I think it might be overkill for HD598s.  The T1 can output a fair amount of power and is more suited towards higher impedance headphones.  I think for the price, an E17 would better be suited for the 598s if you can get it for the 100-110 that I see it go for sometimes here in the states.  The E17 has a great dac on it, and have more than enough power for the 598s.  Furthermore, it's also portable, and can run off its batteryt.  You can also add a stronger amp later and use lineout if you decide to get harder to drive headphones later on.

May 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #36 of 70
I have never been really happy with my e17. I have a feeling the hiss indeed is from the sound card btw. My mbp hisses too.

Aune t1 would be good

May 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 70
I find that my HD518 needs an amp to really shine so I guess the HD598 would need it too.............
I got the HD518 as it has the best bass of the bunch.....
I heard the HD598 and I think they are a bit more on the higher side so I would pair it with something like a fiio e11 if not having a dac is not a problem......
If you do need a dac Its hard to beat the e17 on a budget...............

May 7, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #38 of 70
I own an Aune T1 and while it's a really good tube dac/amp, I think it might be overkill for HD598s.  The T1 can output a fair amount of power and is more suited towards higher impedance headphones.  I think for the price, an E17 would better be suited for the 598s if you can get it for the 100-110 that I see it go for sometimes here in the states.  The E17 has a great dac on it, and have more than enough power for the 598s.  Furthermore, it's also portable, and can run off its batteryt.  You can also add a stronger amp later and use lineout if you decide to get harder to drive headphones later on.

I read that the amp on the T1 isn't that powerful? Iam also a bit iffy about the e17 as a lot of people have not been happy with it after buying it, the T1 is also in the same price range as the e17 so seems as though it's better value.... Correct me if iam wrong??

May 7, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #39 of 70
Quote:
I read that the amp on the T1 isn't that powerful? Iam also a bit iffy about the e17 as a lot of people have not been happy with it after buying it, the T1 is also in the same price range as the e17 so seems as though it's better value.... Correct me if iam wrong??

The amp on the T1 is actually pretty powerful, it outputs 800mw at 32 ohms and has a 0 db, 10db and 16db gain jumpers.  I haven't used the E17, but I use to own an Objective 2, and the T1 is quite a bit more powerful than the Objective 2.  On 0 gain, it can power my 600ohm DT880s to loud listening levels, and on 10db gain it can get to deafening levels at about 60% of the knob turned.

Perhaps the E17 is more expensive where you live?  Here in the US, I've seen the E17 go down to 100-110 dollar range, while the Aune T1 normally goes for around 160-180 shipped on ebay depending on which tube it comes with.  Getting a good high quality tube for the T1 will also run you about another 20 dollars bringing the total price for the T1 almost double that of the E17.

Another good dac/amp that you should consider if you don't mind buying used is the Audinst MX-1.  I use to own this and it's also very powerful with a great dac-chip, it should run about 100-120 dollar used on these forums.  I would say it's almost as good as the Aune T1, but without the ability to change tubes.

May 7, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #40 of 70
The amp on the T1 is actually pretty powerful, it outputs 800mw at 32 on s and has a 0 db, 10db and 16db gain jumpers.  I haven't used the E17, but I use to own an Objective 2, and the T1 is quite a bit more powerful than the Objective 2.  On 0 gain, it can power my 600ohm DT880s to loud listening levels, and on 10db gain it can get to deafening levels at about 60% of the knob turned.

Perhaps the E17 is more expensive where you live?  Here in the US, I've seen the E17 go down to 100-110 dollar range, while the Aune T1 normally goes for around 160-180 shipped on ebay depending on which tube it comes with.  Getting a good high quality tube for the T1 will also run you about another 20 dollars bringing the total price for the T1 almost double that of the E17.

Another good dac/amp that you should consider if you don't mind buying used is the Audinst MX-1.  I use to own this and it's also very powerful with a great dac-chip, it should run about 100-120 dollar used on these forums.  I would say it's almost as good as the Aune T1, but without the ability to change tubes.

The E17 is £100, the T1 is 115, upgrade version is 125 so i imagine it's a better buy considering the price difference? And ive heard it pairs well with senn hds?

May 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #41 of 70
I don't know about much of the UK pricing etc. I do believe Schiit was look at a uk distributor from some quick research I just did but not sure.  02 and t1 are both good suggestions. Still e17 is great, just thought I would throw out the magni modi stack suggestion. You might also find something in the used section on the cheap. 

cheers

May 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #42 of 70
I have HD558s which have the same drivers as the 598s. They sound ok without an amp, but they really shine with some help. I currently am using a Fiio E7 dac/amp which is a great starter and convinced me about the advantage of having a dac/amp with these headphones. The new improved version is the e7k. I currently have an Aune T1 on order. . As for 320kbs streaming http://radiobit.50webs.com/ has a great list of free high bit rate Internet sources.

May 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #43 of 70
I went with the Aune T1 guys, seemed to be the best bang for my buck, got the upgraded version for only a few euro more then the e17 and should do ok for when i upgrade to! Hopefully i made a good choice, thanks to everyone for all the comments, suggestions and help :) you guys rock :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #44 of 70
Looking forward to hear what you think about it..

May 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:
Looking forward to hear what you think about it..

Received the Aune T1 earlier and after an hour listening here are my thoughts! First off, Bear in mind that this is my first amp/dac so i cannot compare it to anything else and at the mo iam using hd 598s which arguably don't need a amp at all (hopefully ill own a pair of he500s soon) 

Anyway, My experience so far is that it DOES make a nice improvement but your not going to listen and be all woah thats amazing!! Bass seems a little tighter and seems to have a little more 'oomph' to it, Clarity seems to have improved a little also, and i cant really put my finger on it (and maybe its just psycholigical) but i feel as if i am enjoying the music a little more, I think its a tad bit more engaging or something, I cant really explain nor can i really say anything further other then iam certainly happy enough with it, I would of liked a switch for bass for bass on/off but no big deal!! I will hopefully own a pair of he 500s soon or at least he400s if i cant get the 500s for a good price so hopefully it will pair well with them!! Only other thing i can add is it looks damn sexy in low light haha  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back