HD 598 vs HD 600/650
Mar 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JustinDT

Head-Fier
Recently I've been enjoying my HD 598s more than my LCD 2s. In both how they sound and the comfort level. I know that's probably crazy to think I like the HD 598s over the LCD 2s but I do. So with that in mind would the HD 600 or HD 650 be much of an upgrade? Would I lose some comfort with them if I do upgrade?

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 24
Both HD600 and 650 are very comfortable. The HD600 is a little more even sounding than the hd650 which has a comparitivly raised bass. They both have less edge in the treble than the HD598. I have the the set going from the HD558 - 598 - 600 - 650.

The funny thing is that I like the 558 since it has slightly less edge than the 598 (although the treble isn't quite as refined) and the HD600 gets more use than the HD650 since it has just a tad more edge than the 650!!

For me 558 and 600 are really excellent for their prices. In the UK, the HD650 is beginning to become slightly too expensive imo and the HD600 is better value imo.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 24
IMO yes. It's very noticeable but then I'm a bit 'bat' eared....

The HD600 is more balanced sounding to me. A little more weight and not as piercing in the highs.I have an on/off kind of like/dislike for the HD598. There are times when it just makes me crave for bass and other times when I am astounded by their clarity.

However, the HD600 sounds good most of the time to me. Some don't like its laid back sound, but it's less laid back than the HD650 and is the real bargain in the hd6**/HD5**  collecion imo.

Some think that the treble is less refined than the HD650, but I don't find it at all bad. I think the change from HD598 to the HD650 is bigger since the 650 has a big bass by comparison and is much less sharp in the treble.

I don't particularly care for the colour scheme of the HD600 but they are are a very good headphone and I think, the sweet spot in the HD series.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 24
I'm still new to the headphone world so I'm trying to make a more informed decision this time around. Unlike when I bought LCD-2s that my father suggested. If I were to go with either the 600 or 650, would my Vali amp be a good match for them or would I need to upgrade to a different amp?

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 24
I can't see any need to upgrade the amp, although I'm sure that many on Headfi would recommend all kinds of things for you. The HD600 is quite a forgiving headphone.

BTW, if you like a bigger bass, then the HD650 is a fine headphone. What I don't like is the price difference. In the UK, the difference between them is around £100 which is quite a lot. The HD600 is slightly flatter in frequency response as well!!

I wonder whether you could try them in a shop close by? It's still quite an outlay for a headphone and once things go beyond £250 for me in the UK, I start to think twice in case I don't like the sound sig. You just don't know with them because we all seem to perceive the sound from the quite differently.

I use them with an Ember headphone which is a tube amp and well as an MY V8 and others. they're fine.

One thing though, they have a balanced sound that some may find 'boring'. Some guys like a big thunderous bass, while others like a more edgy sound. The HD600 doesn't seem to give either; it just sounds natural which for some is 'boring'!! :wink:

http://splashurl.com/q5kwgz7

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 24
If you like bass, go with the 650s. I may be in the minority here, but I think the 598s may have as much or more bass than the 650s. But keep in my mind I JUST got my 598s.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 24
One of my favourite amps. So configurable and very powerful. It works well with both the HD600 and 650 as well.

I'm kind of torn between the HD600 and HD650 actually. I'm listening at the moment on a 650 and the bass is really very good. Sometimes, I want a bit less so I use the HD600 and then I start to carve a little more bass so I go back. Then at other times, I just want an entertaining thump and tizz sound so I use the Beyer DT990.

I was considering the price difference between the HD600 and HD650. If you haven't heard a 650, then you wouldn't miss it, but if you hear a 650, you may well want to spend the extra. I'm not sure it's worth it though - my wife can't tell them apart so it's quite subtle.

The 600 has a very even frequency response where the HD650 has a raised bass.

Is the LCD around the same kind of price? You could always trade with someone if you don't like it.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 24

My 598 is much sharper sounding than the HD650 and has less weight!!

I know, I know. I agree with everything else iancraig10 said, but my mileage varied on this one.
It's a tossup between the 650s and 600s. If you like bass the 650s are definitely bassier than the 600s and both are better cans than the 598s, but the 598s are nice, just not quite the same level.

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 24
  One of my favourite amps. So configurable and very powerful. It works well with both the HD600 and 650 as well.

I'm kind of torn between the HD600 and HD650 actually. I'm listening at the moment on a 650 and the bass is really very good. Sometimes, I want a bit less so I use the HD600 and then I start to carve a little more bass so I go back. Then at other times, I just want an entertaining thump and tizz sound so I use the Beyer DT990.

I was considering the price difference between the HD600 and HD650. If you haven't heard a 650, then you wouldn't miss it, but if you hear a 650, you may well want to spend the extra. I'm not sure it's worth it though - my wife can't tell them apart so it's quite subtle.

The 600 has a very even frequency response where the HD650 has a raised bass.

Is the LCD around the same kind of price? You could always trade with someone if you don't like it.

The LCD-2s are right under the $1k mark. I'm going to post them for sale on here in a couple of weeks. I want to make sure I won't miss them if I sell them.
  If you like bass, go with the 650s. I may be in the minority here, but I think the 598s may have as much or more bass than the 650s. But keep in my mind I JUST got my 598s.

That's interesting. If that is the case then I might not need to upgrade to the 650s at all. Thank you for your service btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back