HD 598 vs Brainwavz HM5?
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 10
I used to own the NVX XPT100, which has the same drivers as the HM5. I loved everything about it except the sound, so I returned it. I heard the HD 558 once, which has the same drivers as the HD 598. It sounded pretty natural in the short time I auditioned it. So I would definitely recommend the Sennheiser.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 10
  Hello, I have been looking into headphones, and these are what I have narrowed it down to. What are the differences between the two, besides one is open, and the other isn't.

I bought the Brainwavz HM5 a few years ago, used them a few times during the first month, never went back to them.
My Sennheiser HD558 are the oldest headphones I have that I still like to use (same drive as the HD598).
Buy some used HD558, remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, enjoy.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 10
  The HM5 to my recollection focuses on getting super-neutral, super-detailed sound. The 598 is a smoother, more natural type of sound. I second the Sennheiser.

My problem with it (or rather, the XPT100) is that it sounded very tinny and artificial to me, like it was making everything sound more trebly than it was in the recording, and it lacked bass. Its selling point is neutrality, but now that I own one of the most neutral headphones out there, I can say that the XPT100 wasn't that neutral, really. The HD 598 has the benefit of being an open headphone, so in some respects, it can attain an even more natural sound than a more neutral headphone that is closed.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 10
If this helps at all, I loved the sound of the RE-400`s. Shame they were so fragile.
I hated the XPT100 (which, again, has the same drivers as the HM5) with electronic music. So although I did not hear the HD 558 for long, I would say so. Then again, everyone has different preferences, so I can't tell you what you will prefer; I can only guess.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 10
If this helps at all, I loved the sound of the RE-400`s. Shame they were so fragile.
I hated the XPT100 (which, again, has the same drivers as the HM5) with electronic music. So although I did not hear the HD 558 for long, I would say so. Then again, everyone has different preferences, so I can't tell you what you will prefer; I can only guess.

If that's the case, then the HD598 is for you. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back