HD 598 + (Sound Card or amp + Dac?)
May 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
One could also say that the ZxR is an "entry level product" similar to the MM combo.  I would find it hard to believe given all the other features/inputs/outputs/software that comes with the ZxR that it has the same sound quality as the MM for the same price.  I mean let's keep things in perspective here, we're talking about a Creative product here and it's a sound card that supports a load of other features.  I would just have a hard time thinking Creative would produce something so cheap that could match the sound quality of the Magni/Modi combo.  Now i don't know which one is better but if I was a betting man I would put money on the magni modi given it's specific use and focus is on quality parts and quality sound but again i don't know which one is better.

Well no, as the ZXR is the top of their lineup so it would be considered a flagship product.  When you look at the Schiit lineup, their combo is entry level to their products.

Given the components used on both, I would probably take that bet.  However, as I said apples and oranges.
I have not heard the Schiit combo, although I do like their products.

May 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 30
Well no, as the ZXR is the top of their lineup so it would be considered a flagship product.  When you look at the Schiit lineup, their combo is entry level to their products.

That's not a valid argument. Entry level on some product lines still beats out top level on other product lines. It gives us no indication of which should be better.

May 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Given the components used on both, I would probably take that bet.  However, as I said apples and oranges.
I have not heard the Schiit combo, although I do like their products.

Just to clarify and not to drag out the debate any longer:  What I was trying to say is if the ZxR is such a high quality sound card, it could be considered among others as an entry level audiophile product like the Schiit Modi/Magni combo :)

May 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 30
I would expect this card to be equal or slightly lower quality (sonically) out than the Xonar Essence STX given it's componentry & the extra electrolytic coupling capacitors in the signal path between the I/V converters & differential input buffers. I'm no fan of that kind of coupling cap & can reliably hear the losses caused by such caps, even the Nichicon Fine Gold's. The Xonar has no coupling caps here though there are some at the RCA outputs which I removed & bypassed on mine. These caps will affect all outputs on this card as opposed to the STX 's only affecting the line out. 

May 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
I would expect this card to be equal or slightly lower quality (sonically) out than the Xonar Essence STX given it's componentry & the extra electrolytic coupling capacitors in the signal path between the I/V converters & differential input buffers. I'm no fan of that kind of coupling cap & can reliably hear the losses caused by such caps, even the Nichicon Fine Gold's. The Xonar has no coupling caps here though there are some at the RCA outputs which I removed & bypassed on mine. These caps will affect all outputs on this card as opposed to the STX 's only affecting the line out. 

About the quality, the Sound Blaster is cheaper than the STX (By spec the Zx and Z are the same card; the only different is the AMC) not by much, but is a difference in price.

But now that you mention the STX and has one, is a good card for games? specially for multiplayer (BF3, BC2 etc..)? And the RCA output modification, it improve by a big margin or something not necessary for a novice like me?

May 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

About the quality, the Sound Blaster is cheaper than the STX (By spec the Zx and Z are the same card; the only different is the AMC) not by much, but is a difference in price.

But now that you mention the STX and has one, is a good card for games? specially for multiplayer (BF3, BC2 etc..)? And the RCA output modification, it improve by a big margin or something not necessary for a novice like me?

I was referring to the ZXR version of creative card which uses the same class hardware as the STX, just configured differently. The STX is not really considered a gaming card though should still work well for many games that don't use EAX extensions & while it doesn't truthfully support EAX over version 2 it can still do fairly well with many of the games that use  over version 2 of EAX. Music quality is where the STX shines in comparison to the run of the mill Creative card though the Titanium HD & the ZXR are a much closer match for the STX sonically. I would expect the ZXR to respond favorably to my mods just as do the STX & the Titanium HD.

May 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
I was referring to the ZXR version of creative card which uses the same class hardware as the STX, just configured differently. The STX is not really considered a gaming card though should still work well for many games that don't use EAX extensions & while it doesn't truthfully support EAX over version 2 it can still do fairly well with many of the games that use  over version 2 of EAX. Music quality is where the STX shines in comparison to the run of the mill Creative card though the Titanium HD & the ZXR are a much closer match for the STX sonically. I would expect the ZXR to respond favorably to my mods just as do the STX & the Titanium HD.

Ah i see, my bad, in the case of the ZXR, that price point is too high for me, if the STX have the same spec, his price point is very good in comparison. So far I'm going to stay with the Zx for gaming, and  i plan to buy a external amp and Dac for music.

May 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 30
Ah i see, my bad, in the case of the ZXR, that price point is too high for me, if the STX have the same spec, his price point is very good in comparison. So far I'm going to stay with the Zx for gaming, and  i plan to buy a external amp and Dac for music.

If you get a DAC that has optical input and connect it to the Zx, it will still allow the Zx to do all the game sound processing that it does before sending the digital signal to the external DAC.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 30
im not going to get into the dac war but a tube amp really does sound better with these over a solid state. i have not used mine for gaming at all but for music a solid state gives them a little too bright treble for me and silibance becomes an issue. tubes seem to make them smoother, and more airy. the hifiman ef2a, littledot mk1+ and mk2 are some good tubes to look at around your price range 130 to 180. the ef2a also has a dac built in but i have heard its not the best ever so if you were to want that from what i've heard any of the dacs above mentioned are better but the amp in it is good.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #25 of 30
I have the asus sonar stx and think for gaming it is fantastic, however for music I have a little dot dac 1 and mk3 tube amp. I just think an external amp and dac produces a bigger soundstage, nice detail and balance for listening to music. During gaming sessions I prefer the soundcard lol. Go figure they are both good but each for there intended purposes. The stx is ok for music but it doesn't make me feel like listening to music for hours on end like the external tube amp and dac does.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 30
Have you tried to sound card, to amp to 598 and think for gaming just the sound card alone is better? I have very little gaming xp with headphones and was wondering why people say this, i would think the dac could take away from gaming but figured the amp would still help.

I have the asus sonar stx and think for gaming it is fantastic, however for music I have a little dot dac 1 and mk3 tube amp. I just think an external amp and dac produces a bigger soundstage, nice detail and balance for listening to music. During gaming sessions I prefer the soundcard lol. Go figure they are both good but each for there intended purposes. The stx is ok for music but it doesn't make me feel like listening to music for hours on end like the external tube amp and dac does.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 30
Sorry I don't have the 598 but I have hd650 senns (music) and pc360 gaming. I guess for gaming the Dolby and soundcard give good positional accuracy and using the pc360 headset makes me immersed in the game.
When it comes to music the soundcard doesnt immerse me enough it makes me feel like I'm sitting in the very back row of a live performance versus the external dac and mk3 tube amp I feel as if I'm sitting in front a couple metres away from the singer.

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
When it comes to music the soundcard doesnt immerse me enough it makes me feel like I'm sitting in the very back row of a live performance versus the external dac and mk3 tube amp I feel as if I'm sitting in front a couple metres away from the singer.

Which makes it sound like you are simply listening to the tube amp louder, and that gives the illusion of better sound.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #29 of 30
Which makes it sound like you are simply listening to the tube amp louder, and that gives the illusion of better sound.

Sorry but Im a little unsure of what you want me to do put the volume up while listening to the soundcard until my ears bleed. No offence but I guess I didn't explain myself enough but the music from the tube amp and dac are warm/airy and wonderful depth and perception. Bass seems more balanced. Versus the soundcard bass doesn't have the mid bass depth and vocals aren't as warm and exciting. I'm not knocking the soundcard for gaming it really does a fantastic job. This is only to my ears and I'm sure many people are happy with the stx for listening to music. I just prefer the tube amp and external dac for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back