HD 598 or HD 650?
Dec 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ztreb185

100+ Head-Fier
Im totally stumped on this one.  Hours on hours of researching and I still cant decide.  I know the HD 650 is technically better than the HD 598, but is it what I'm looking for and is the price justified?  I currently have the HD 558.  Sounds great and I can't really fault any area except maybe just a bit more bass would be great but its not a big deal (I dont have any amp/dac just realtek)  I am not a basshead.  I previously owned the Shure SRH440s and man did those make my ears bleed.  When those highs went off, I cringed and my ears fatigued extremely quickly.

598s run for $230 atm.  The 650s run at $355 atm.  I've heard the 598s are brighter so I'm worried it might start hurting my ears after an hour or so.  And I do have the 558s and I would like just a bit more bass, and I mean a miniscule increase.  I am not a basshead and I do prefer a perfectly balanced headphone.  I've heard the 650s have a strong bass.

Can you guys throw in some input for me? Thanks.  

(ps planning to run these with E10/E9/E7, not sure which combo just yet.  Maybe E7/E9 for the HD 650 since the headphones are typically warm and the slightly bright signature of the amp/dac will help.  And E10 for the HD 598 to help bring a more full and warm signature?)

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 24
I would say grab a good amp for the HD 558.  Something like the Schiit Asgard or Valhalla.  If you like the HD 558 and feel the need for an upgrade, then go HD 650 (but regardless you will still need an amp at least to get the most out of the headphones).  I still recommend just upgrading to an amp and then go from there.

However, if you also need a DAC, I would recommend just going with the FiiO e10 for now and then if you feel a dedicated amp would help, go Schiit Asgard.  I have a friend who let me try the e10 with my HD 280, and it made the HD 280s sing in an area which I thought was a little recessed (the mids).

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 24
I started out and am actually currently listening to my HD598's.  I've had them for about 4 months and they are nice headphones.  I did a ton of research and for what I wanted to spend the HD598's were what I chose.  I currently amp them with a Little Dot MKIII and I think they sound fairly good.  Although plugging them straight into my pc isn't a horrible sounding option either. 

As for your worry about hurting your ears with the brightness, I listen to my headphone probably 5-6 hours a day 5 days a week and I never have any problems.  Now, if I come into work with a headache or something I will say I tend to notice the brightness a bit more (weird I know), but nothing horrendous. 

That said, what I really really wanted when starting my research was HD650's, and I should have just waited to save up the extra $100 or so to buy them.  Just yesterday I ordered the HD650's and will most likely be selling my HD598's in the next few weeks (we'll see, maybe I'll keep both).  If your planning on amping I'd suggest going with HD650's as those need to be amped to perform well, the HD598's not so much. 

Honestly though, I'd go with your gut, you'll lose money in the long run settling for something based on minimal cost increase.  If you really want the 650's get them now instead of having to upgrade later like me.

-Tom

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 24
In my opinion, you should get the E9 +E10 combo first. I'm sure it will give the HD558's that extra bass with more warmth. If you still need more bass, I think it may be time to get the HD 650, which the E9 is capable of driving.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 24
Would the 650s have significantly more bass than the 558s?  I just want a bit more over the 558s.  Im afraid the 650s might have too much bass and the 598s much have too much screaming highs for me. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Hope you don't mind me asking, Saturn.  I wanted to know your thoughts on the setup you have listed in your sig.

My rig, for my needs, and in my opinion, performs phenomenally well. In my experience, the combination enhanced the clarity of vocals and made highs more crisp (listening to Adele on FLAC, absolutely stunning). In terms of the bass response through the HD598's, there was a tad increase in quantity, but, much more noticeable, the refinement of it. I also felt that there was a larger soundstage due to the Asgard. 

In short, the combo works well with the HD598's, producing a richer, fullness, or, body of sound.

I listen to R&B and Indie rock, and both genres sound great through this rig. 

Again, with different headphones, your mileage may vary. In addition, if I ever planned on upgrading to the HD650's, this rig would definitely be able to support it. (However, that won't be for a while, as I currently enjoy the heck out of the 598's!)

- Saturn

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 24
for the HD650 - being a slightly warmish headphone - i would change the Asgard with something like a more neutral sounding amp like
the Gilmore lite or Matrix M-Stage. From what I've read, the Asgard is slightly warm - pairs well with HD598 and HD600

Macbook Pro > Audinst HUD-MX1 > Schiit Asgard > Sennheiser HD598

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
Would the 650s have significantly more bass than the 558s?  I just want a bit more over the 558s.  Im afraid the 650s might have too much bass and the 598s much have too much screaming highs for me. 

Amps can do miracles, believe me!  Lol.  The HD 650 has more of a warm tone like the HD 558, I believe, just with added bass.  

Quote:
My rig, for my needs, and in my opinion, performs phenomenally well. In my experience, the combination enhanced the clarity of vocals and made highs more crisp (listening to Adele on FLAC, absolutely stunning). In terms of the bass response through the HD598's, there was a tad increase in quantity, but, much more noticeable, the refinement of it. I also felt that there was a larger soundstage due to the Asgard. 

In short, the combo works well with the HD598's, producing a richer, fullness, or, body of sound.

I listen to R&B and Indie rock, and both genres sound great through this rig. 

Again, with different headphones, your mileage may vary. In addition, if I ever planned on upgrading to the HD650's, this rig would definitely be able to support it. (However, that won't be for a while, as I currently enjoy the heck out of the 598's!)

- Saturn

Thanks for sharing that!  I primarily listen to Rock, Metal, Electronica, Classical and Jazz and I was considering these headphones and thought about doing a similar setup like you're rig.  I think I know for sure now what I'm going to upgrade to.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 24
i own the 558 and have done the foam mod - listed elsewhere on the forum as 555 mod - essentially it near as dammit turns them into 598s.

so you would be wasting your money

the 650s./ well i myself have just splashed out on a piar and am currently awaiting on their arrival.

i personally would think about investing in a really good amp/dac for your money and do the foam mod.

schiit asguard or other solid state amps are well recomended as are tube amps such as the bottlehead crack etc ... thats where i would put my money.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
they sound much better than HD 650-

For you, but technically speaking, the HD650 is better. The HD650 is a fantastic headphone, but firstly, they require a good amp to really shine and secondly, if you don't like their sound signature, you ll never like them,lol. HD598 is effectively an excellent headphone, easy to drive, comfortable and for easy listening, but no way better than the HD650.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
650 are different - yes, better - no.

Technically, the HD650 is superior, its not something subjective, its objective.

Yes the HD598 can be prefered over the HD650, taste and technical its different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back