HD 598 Low Volume?
May 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alyus

New Head-Fier
I purchased the HD 598 because of the reviews from Head-Fi. I don't mind that these pair of headphones aren't loud and have super bass. I can learn to appreciate the high and mids, but the volume is really low, even if I max it on my PC. The headphones don't have USB connection so I plugged it into the back of my MOBO. 

May 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 12
You need a headphone amp or DAC. if you're on a budget, get the Schiit Fulla. 

May 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 12
  You need a headphone amp or DAC. if you're on a budget, get the Schiit Fulla. 

I'm teaching myself to become a audiophile. Perhaps I should learn to listen to music at low volumes. I'm now listen to the HD 598 volume at 27 points on Windows. This might be the trick because I'm so used to loud garbage.

May 11, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 12
You will get way better sound with external amp/dac like the Schiit. Its not about loudness its sound quality. You have good phones that deserve a good source.. $79 for Schiit FULLA.

May 11, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 12
  Its not about loudness its sound quality. 

Tell that to someone that has been listening to loud music for an eternity.

Someone did say that there is a difference between plugging the headphones to the MOBO (Realtek audio chip) and the front of the PC. That is the reason for the extremely low volume.  Unfortunately, the jack in the front of the PC is broken. And the headphones won't fit to my iPhone because of the protective case. So I have to order a slim jack converter for this HD 598 to fit the iPhone.

May 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 12

Someone did say that there is a difference between plugging the headphones to the MOBO (Realtek audio chip) and the front of the PC. That is the reason for the extremely low volume.  Unfortunately, the jack in the front of the PC is broken. And the headphones won't fit to my iPhone because of the protective case. So I have to order a slim jack converter for this HD 598 to fit the iPhone.

Well be careful it doesn't take much to cause permanent damage.

May 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 12

The Schiit Fulla connects to the USB port of your PC and will be much louder than the headphone out of your PC. You'll still need the slim jack converter though.

May 11, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 12

The Schiit Fulla connects to the USB port of your PC and will be much louder than the headphone out of your PC. You'll still need the slim jack converter though.

I'll get my PC front I/O replaced and then see what I'll do then. Most of the opinion on the internet says amp/DAC is a waste of money since the difference isn't as day and night for the HD 598.

May 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 12
  I'll get my PC front I/O replaced and then see what I'll do then. Most of the opinion on the internet says amp/DAC is a waste of money since the difference isn't as day and night for the HD 598.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?
Have you updated to the latest audio drivers?

May 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 12
I believe that motherboard uses the Realtek ALC892. Looking around the forums, the common complaint with that codec is the low volume when using headphones. I don't think fixing the front panel jacks will help there, unfortunately.

The solution would be to either go with a amp/DAC solution suggested in the thread, or get an inexpensive sound card with built-in amp like the Asus Xonar DG / DGX.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 12
The volume is still low with the Schiit Fulla. I can not max out the volume on the Schiit Fulla since it causes loud hissing and humming and also programs stop working, i.e. Youtube, iTunes and Spotify. They all stutter. Once the Schiit Fulla was removed, all programs function as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back