HD 598 - Confused on the Equipment I need
Jun 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iNcontroL

New Head-Fier
So like the title says, I have the Sennheiser HD598s and I love them. I currently have them hooked up to my computer with a Titanium HD sound card and mainly use it for 50% Gaming/90% Music (How does that make sense? I always have music running when I'm gaming). I also listen to my music through Winamp running the WASAPI plug-in.

Here are a few issues I have though.
1. I have Klipsch[size=small] [/size]Pro Media 2.1 Computer Speakers and I want to be able to easily switch between the speakers and headphones. Unfortunately, it's a huge pain to have to crawl under my desk and do this since Titanium HDs don't support plugging both of them in. So I'd like a way to easily switch between them.

2. Volume Control this is by far the most annoying thing for me because I upgraded from a pair for PC-360s that had a volume control on the headset itself. It's really annoying having to to go the control panel/options and set the volume for every game/application I use because a lot of the time I'm also listening to music or talking to friends on Skype/Teamspeak/Ventrilo. So finding a nice medium for multiple applications at once is frustrating. It was a lot easier when I could control the volume on spot with my headset, but the HD598s sound so much better that I really don't regret that decision but I'd like a work around.

3. I want to be able to use my HD598s on my iPod and iPad. I also want to get them to sound as good as they do on my computer. From what I understand, I need a good portable AMP for this but I wasn't sure which one to get and how it would work with everything else.

4. Like I mentioned earlier, I want to be able to connect my headphones to my iPod and iPad Mini. One of my favorite perks about upgrading to a HD598 from PC-360s is the fact that I can just pull out the cable from the headset, so I can potentially have multiple cables for multiple equipment. Unfortunately, the original cable for my HD598s are WAY to long to use them comfortably with an iPod so I'll need a shorter one.

From what I've been able to find on my own, a Titanium HD is good enough to run headphones by themselves. But a FiiO E9K can solve my first two problems. I know it has a volume knob, but I'm not sure how it can solve my first problem other than the fact I no longer have to crawl under my desk and switch cables when I can just do it from the Desktop Amp.

For my 3rd problem, I was looking at the FiiO E17, the FiiO E07K, and the FiiO E11. I know the FiiO E17 and E07K would be compatible with the E9K Desktop AMP, but would they do what I need them to do on my iPod/iPad? or would I have to get the E11 as well?

Finally for the cable. The only replacement cable I found on Amazon was just as long as the original, is there a place I can get one that wouldn't be too long for a iPod? 2 Feet at the most?

I'm an audiophile newbie who originally but the PC-360 cause I thought it would give me the best sound for gaming. I didn't think that the only reason it was as expensive as a H598 was not because of the sound quality, but because of the Boom Mic and Volume Control. I had the opportunity to sell the PC-360 and get the HD598 and went with it. But I do miss the convenience the PC-360 gave me. So please help me fix my mistakes.

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 9
A fiio E7k or E17 will fit the bill perfectly: 

1) It is a soundcard by itself so you can have your 598 connected to the Fiio and your speakers to the sound card and just switch on the software side on your computer.

2) It has volume control on it

3) Can be used as an amp with portable devices (get a LOD cable for idevices to go along with your Fiio)

For the cable on the HD 5X8, I never saw a short replacement cable, so I can't help you there.

Hope that helps.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
A fiio E7k or E17 will fit the bill perfectly: 

1) It is a soundcard by itself so you can have your 598 connected to the Fiio and your speakers to the sound card and just switch on the software side on your computer.

2) It has volume control on it

3) Can be used as an amp with portable devices (get a LOD cable for idevices to go along with your Fiio)

For the cable on the HD 5X8, I never saw a short replacement cable, so I can't help you there.

Hope that helps.

So I don't need a E9K? If a E17 does the same thing as a E9K than what's the point of having both? Is E9K just a glorified dock?

And if I'm understand you right, I won't be running the DAC/AMP into my Titanium HD but instead using a USB? Which would sound better and does a DAC/AMP like the E17 have better sound quality than a Titanium HD? Cause I've heard of people using creative functions like CMSS 3D through the DAC/AMP.

Finally which would you guys choose from FiiO or Schiit?

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
So I don't need a E9K? If a E17 does the same thing as a E9K than what's the point of having both? Is E9K just a glorified dock?

--> With the HD598, you don't need the E09k. The E9 is a more powerful headphone amp meant to drive more power-hungry cans than can use the proprietary DAC line-out of the E7/E17.

And if I'm understand you right, I won't be running the DAC/AMP into my Titanium HD but instead using a USB? Which would sound better and does a DAC/AMP like the E17 have better sound quality than a Titanium HD? Cause I've heard of people using creative functions like CMSS 3D through the DAC/AMP.

--> I don't know which would sound better but for flexibility, I would use the USB input of the E17/E7 to be able to have both your speakers and your headphones connected at the same time

Finally which would you guys choose from FiiO or Schiit?

-- > In your case, Fiio E7/E17 because you want mobility with your idevice.

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 9
As the previous poster said.

My setup in your case would be:

Fiio E07K or E17 via USB to computer

I bought my first "expensive " headphone a few years back, it was the HD598 and I bought at the same time a Schiit Asgard. And boy, when I listened the first time to that setup, was I blown away. And I still am.

You can upgrade/degrade the E7/E17 to a DAC only and add a Magni or Asgard at a later stage, you would need th L7 line out extra but it only costs a few dollars.

So, I second, start with the Fiio and see where it leads you :D

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 9
The Fiio E7 (or newer E7K) will work well with the HD 598, I used the E7 with the HD 558s which have the same driver and it worked fine. I have moved to the Aune T1 but the Fiios are a great place to start. With the iPad, in order to use the Fiio DAC (or for that matter any DAC including the Aune) you will need the camera connector, CCK. This is discussed in the following thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad unfortunately the iPod or iPhone won't work with the CCK and you either have to use the Fiio as an amp only or get a Wadia itransport or a Pure i20 or the Onkyo ND S1 either of which can be expensive.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 9
For a simpler one box solution you might consider one of the NuForce options. There are several that fit your requirements ranging in price from $149 to $449. They have various inputs including USB, Coax, Toslink and even Apple 30 pin connector for idevices. Several also include speaker terminals and all of them have headphone options. They also have nice big volume knobs and some come with remotes as well. http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=129&Itemid=852

I have the NuForce Dia driving B&W speakers via Toslink in my bedroom for TV and music for both speakers and headphones. I have a different solution at work on my desktop but my requirements were similar - todrivespeakers and headphones with great sounding audio. Here's a link to my desktop set up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513165/peachtree-musicbox-is-the-solution-ive-been-waiting-for#post_8947440

Here's a link to my research into desktop headphone and speaker dac/amps
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640725/looking-for-desktop-amplifier#post_8978378

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 9
I've decided to get a Magni for my Computer and a E17K for my iPod. From what I read the past few days, the Titanium HD's DAC is better than most budget DACs I can get, so adding a Desktop Amp for better Sound, Volume Control, and the ability to use my speaks and headphones would be the way to go. I'll also be getting a E17K with a LOD because I heard it was smaller than a E07K.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back